While American cuisine may sometimes mean gourmet meals, it often times makes more sense to pair fast food chains with quintessential #Merica. So how do you know whether or not you are a true American? If you've heard of these obscure fast food restaurants and are left with nostalgic feels, then you are really a true American.

1. Whataburger

While I can't completely blame you if you haven't heard of this obscure regional chain, Whataburger is definitely a fast food restaurant to keep on your radar. Their restaurants are primarily located in the South, and their menu features burgers, chicken options, a breakfast menu and even a secret menu. What's not to love?

2. White Castle 

White Castle is pretty much as American as it gets. They practically invented the slider (which you can make at home if you don't live nearby). 

The menu also includes Chicken Rings (yes, like onion rings and chicken fingers had a baby), Mozz Sticks, and even Fish Nibblers. If you haven't heard of it, I recommend driving somewhere in the Midwest or along the East Coast to see what the hype surrounding this obscure fast food restaurant chain is all about.

3. Shake Shack 

If you are one of the lucky ones who lives in NY (or near one of the random Shake Shack locations across the country), I am truly jealous of your access to this chain. 

As the name implies, their shakes are killer, and their burgers and fries will also make you wish you only lived a block away from a Shake Shack.

#SpoonTip: Be sure to try out a Spoon Shake Shack menu hack next time you visit.

4. Jack in the Box

As their Instagram bio will confirm, Jack in the Box is in fact the "Ruler of the Fast Food World." While this may sound a bit cocky, when you read their menu, you will understand why this West Coast chain has earned such a title. 

Not only do they kill the conventional fast food menu, but they now have Brunchfast. This hybrid menu makes them one of top obscure fast food chains and leaves us wondering, how much more American can you get?

5. Biscuitville

Home to Southern style food, Biscuitville has earned its way spot as a true American fast food restaurant chain. The menu is obscure in that it primarily caters to breakfast options, but it does include a full lunch menu, making it perfect all day long.

Also, even though you'd think any restaurant with "biscuit" in its name might be terrible for you, Biscuitville has actually proven to be one of the best low-cal options—all the more reason to check it out.

If you were able to recognize all five of these obscure fast food chains, you should really be proud of yourself. But, you should be even more proud of yourself if you made it through without drooling.