It's no question that pizza in NYC is the greatest pizza you will ever consume. New York style pizza is authentic – from the sauce, toppings, and even straight down to the dough. It's basically scientifically proven that NY pizza is superior. Sorry to the haters.

Growing up in New York all my life (hello, Salvatore's in Port Washington), I may be a little biased by this fact. But, if you're skeptical, head over to any one of these amazing places to find out just how magical pizza in NYC really is. 

1. Joe's Pizza

Probably the most famous pizza place in NYC, Joe's is the place to go if you just have a chance for one slice while you're in the Big Apple. Its menu is simple, but that goes to show you that truly good pizza doesn't need any bells and whistles to taste fantastic. 

2. Roberta's 

Located in Brooklyn (and now Park Ave), Roberta's is a pizza staple in the city. I'm talking true pizza with coal-dusted crust edges, melty cheese, and flavorful tomato sauce. 

3. Prince Street Pizza

There is probably nothing that gets me more excited than small, round pieces of pepperoni that have crispy, curled up edges. Seriously. I think it's prettier than works by Monet.

4. Rubirosa PIzza

Three words: Vodka. Sauce. Pizza. Yup, you heard that right. Creamy, delicious vodka sauce on top of thin crust dough and topped with mounds of mozzarella cheese. What are you waiting for? Grab yourself a pie ASAP.

5. Emily Pizza

Okay, so basically Emily is the one-stop-shop for all things American classic. Like, not only does this restaurant have some of the best pizza you'll ever consume, but it has fantastic burgers. Seriously. Go here.

6. Patsy's Pizza

Do you see those slices? That's what I call authentic NY-style pizza slices. Not brick oven-esque, not trying to pretend that we're in Italy, but truly a New Yorker. A melted shredded mozzarella kind of New Yorker. 

7. Speedy Romeo

A true Romeo and Juliet love story, just in pizza form. Speedy Romeo has unbelievable pies, with some insane toppings like lox and pastrami. It's like all the best New York foods just came together for a play date. 

8. Emmy Squared

The sister restaurant to Emily, Emmy Squared serves its famous pizza in a literal square shape. This ensures that every slice has crispy, crunchy edges. But for me, the toppings is what really does it. Burrata? On Pizza? Yes, please.

9. Artichoke Basille's Pizza

Open until the wee hours of the night, Artichoke is notoriously a drunk food haven. It's basically creamy, cheesy artichoke dip mounted on top of a pizza. And although there are tons of other pizza slices to choose from, if you go, you must, must, must get a slice of artichoke pizza. 

10. Di Fara Pizza

It's pretty obvious that a pizza parlor that's been in business in Brooklyn since 1965 must be out of this world. And yes, that assumption is correct. Di Fara holds some of the best pizza in the city – or better yet, the world – simply because it's a true classic.

11. Motorino

I went to Motorino with some friends last year and have been dreaming about it ever since. Their meatballs, house sparkling red wine, and amazing pizza pies just come together to create one truly unforgettable meal.

12. Lombardi's Coal Oven Pizza

You know how to tell if a coal oven pizza restaurant is the real deal? Red and white checkered table cloths. Oh, and unreal thin crust, burnt mozzarella margarita pizza. Try out Lombardi's, the first pizzeria in America. 

13. L&B Spumoni Gardens

Wonder what Sicilian-style pizza is? It's pizza that's square-shaped, with extra fluffy dough and extra rich tomato sauce, with a sprinkle of parmesan. This is all talk for just really stinkin' good pizza.

14. Lucali Pizza

Thin crust. That's pretty much what I have to say about this pizza. But really, will you look at those crispy edges? Just plain delicious.

15. Pasquale Jones

They may be some pretty expensive pizza pies (try around $20-$25 a pie), but there's a solid reason for that – the pizza is delicious. Definitely not a place to grab a slice with friends, and most definitely a place to drag parents when you're in the mood for some cheese on bread action.

16. Juliana's Pizza

I'd just like to personally thank Juliana, whoever you are, for creating some of the best pizza to enter my mouth. The key? The cheese goes all the way to the edge of the crust. Now that's what I call some dynamic pizza.

17. John's Pizzeria of Bleecker Street

You know when you eat something, and you're like, "Oh my god, I think my tastebuds just exploded?" Oh no? Just me? Well, this is it.

So there you have it – 17 glorious reasons why New York is the pizza capital of the world (sorry Italy).

Special shout-out to my fellow New Yorkers for helping me out with this list. 

#SpoonTip: Special shout-out to my fellow New York friends for helping me out with this list. One of the best things about a New York slice is that it's made and enjoyed by New Yorkers themselves.