Whole Foods recently released a list of expected food trends for 2018, which included predictions for the rise of "super powders" like turmeric, matcha, and spirulina. Additions like this have been showing up for a while now with matcha lattes and spirulina in smoothies becoming increasingly popular drink options. Golden milk powder, which contains turmeric, was listed among the predictions and made me curious as it hasn't gotten the same level of hype as the other super powders.

Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, along with antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, thanks to the active compound curcumin. This means it can help boost your immune system, which sounded especially appealing with the flu season currently at its peak.

What is golden milk?

Grayce Nieberle

After some quick research, I found that turmeric is often incorporated into warm milk, which is then called golden milk. Most recipes include coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper—which increases curcumin absorbance—and a variety of other spices such as cinnamon or ginger. Recipes like this one are relatively easy to make and it only takes a few minutes to whip up a healthy supplement for your diet.

Grayce Nieberle

Golden milk powder also exists, which includes ingredients like turmeric, black pepper, dates, cardamon, vanilla and ashwagandha (an herb known for restorative benefits). The powder is then mixed with milk to create the drink. This seemed like the perfect way for me to incorporate turmeric into my diet, without the hassle of using the community dorm kitchen to make golden milk from scratch every night.

The product

Grayce Nieberle

I bought Gaia brand golden milk powder at my local Whole Foods and picked up some almond milk to mix it with. The directions are simple—add one teaspoon into warm milk daily. I decided to try drinking this golden milk every night for a week, hoping to gain the benefits that turmeric and the rest of this drink have to offer.

When the milk and powder are combined, the drink has a vibrant color and forms a somewhat frothy top layer. It does have a very strong spiced taste and smell, but the drink grew on me throughout the week. If you aren't a huge fan of the taste, you can try mixing it with vanilla almond milk or adding honey to tone down the strong flavors.

#SpoonTip: You can use another type of milk if almond milk isn't your thing.

The results

Grayce Nieberle

I didn't experience any drastic changes after drinking the golden milk for a week however, I think it did have some worthwhile benefits. I made the drink a few hours before bed and I noticed that it helped me fall asleep faster than usual.  Sometimes I feel bloated after big meals, but I didn't experience this as much during the week. My skin also looked clearer, possibly due to the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric. 

I probably won't continue to drink golden milk every day, but I will continue to incorporate it into my diet as a way to enjoy the benefits of turmeric. Try introducing turmeric into your diet as well, through golden milk, smoothies, or one of these other turmeric filled recipes and see the benefits for yourself.