In the last year, Stanley cups have taken social media by storm. A loyal fanbase of the insulated cup developed on TikTok, with many collecting several Stanley cups in different colors and shades, fighting over exclusive drops and colors, as well as decorating the tumblers with accessories such as bags to attach to the oversized handle. It has become one of the most sought-after gifts. The aesthetic of the cup — the shape, the bulky handle, the different colors — is what led Gen Z to become so obsessed with the brand. A major part of the Stanley Quencher’s look is the iconic logo, which despite recent popularity, has been around for over 100 years.

What is the Stanley cup logo?

For those who have somehow yet to see a Stanley cup on their TikTok feed, the logo on every single water bottle is the silhouette of a bear with wings and a crown. But what is the history behind how a century-old outdoors brand has a flying bear wearing a crown as its logo?

When the Stanley brand launched in 1913, it had not yet come up with the unique logo. In fact, the Stanley cup logo we all recognize now came in many stages before its final evolution to its current state. The bear first appeared, according to the company website, after many customers shared the adventurous stories of their time out in the wild using Stanley gear, many of which included bears. Sometimes it was a bear approaching a campfire or just coming upon one in the woods. Either way, the bear became a constant in users of Stanley products, so much so that the mythical bear became the brand’s logo.

The bear made its debut with a crown “as a nod to the inventor of the Stanley bottle, William Stanley,” according to the Stanley website. If you take a look at your tumbler, you’ll probably notice that he is looking at you. That’s because, according to the brand’s site, he is waiting for you to tell him your next story. Oh, and his name is Stan.