Noodles, are the official broke and overworked student's only savior, which is why the variety of noodles available have a direct implication on our lives. In order to clarify, all Asian noodles do not taste the same. They originate in different countries, and their taste is deeply influenced by the particular culture of the area. Let's understand the difference between ramen, soba, and udon noodles; three types of Japanese noodles.

Ramen (Wheat Based)

pasta, spaghetti, ramen, sauce
Kirby Barth

Ramen is probably one of the most renowned noodles out there, and the comfort food of students alike. Ramen is wheat-based, long, brown noodles served with broth and various other toppings. The base of the broth is what gives ramen its reputation because different places do it in a disparate way; some of the common types are shoyu (soy sauce), shio (salt-based), miso, tonkotsu (pork bone). Finally, the ramen bowl is served with a piece of nori, roast pork, bamboo slices, and half a boiled egg. You can always opt for extra toppings like vegetables/meat and even butter. Confused whether to say "ray-men" and "rah-men"? Check out this article on how to pronounce ramen the correct way. 

Soba (Buckwheat Noodles)

vegetable, stir-fry, tofu, pepper, noodle, meat
Katherine Baker

These fibrous noodles are made out of buckwheat, thus, are naturally gluten-free. They're thinner, longer, and a brownish-gray in appearance. They have a strong flavor and are pumped with antioxidants and amino acids. You'll mostly find them being sold dried and served both hot and cold. Although you'll find them being served cold more often, they also complement soups and salads and are brilliant at soaking up the broth, making each bite a celebration of authentic flavors. 

Udon (Thick Wheat Noodles)

vegetable, pho, soup, chili, meat, pasta, noodle
Avery Hannon

Udon is white colored, thick noodles made by kneading wheat flour, salt, and water. They're thicker and more consistent as compared to ramen but served in a similar manner. They're presented with the Udon broth, which is pretty standard, however, new versions of the broth are always coming up. You can simply devour them or add vegetables, meat, tempura and what not to your bowl. They're sold dried, frozen and even fresh! The noodle dish made out of Udon is classic, simple and has a mild flavor, and that is what makes it an all-time favorite. 

Ramen, Soba, and Udon are different in their base ingredients, technique of preparation, manner in which they're served, and of course, their taste. All three of them, however, are unique in their own aspect and it's impossible to dismiss the lingering flavor they leave on your buds.

Now you know what kind of noodle to order from that Asian take-out place!