As an avid dessert lover, I'm constantly looking for new desserts that are both delicious and healthy. Multiple ice cream brands have tried to capture this idea by creating low-calorie ice cream. Halo Top, Enlightened, and Arctic Zero are just a few of the well-known companies that have joined the trend. Recently, Breyers has added a whole new range of products called Breyers Delights to its repertoire to compete with the low-calorie, high protein options out there.

What is Breyers Delights? It's a range of ice cream pints that have between 260-330 calories and 20 grams of protein. Their current flavor lineup includes Vanilla Bean, Creamy Chocolate, Mint Chip, Cookies and Cream, Butter Pecan, Vanilla Cupcake, and Raspberry Fudge Swirl.

What's in Breyer's Delights?

While many of the ingredients in Breyers Delights are recognizable, there are a few you likely haven't heard of. One of the main ingredients in this low-cal ice cream is corn fiber, which is often found in packaged foods that are lower in sugar.

To get that sweet taste without a lot of sugar, Breyers Delights uses erythritol. It has no calories, which is why Breyers Delight is so low in calories. Erythritol is safe to eat and has been approved as a food additive in the United States.

Another ingredient in Breyers Delights you likely aren't familiar with is guar gum. It's likely used to stabilize and thicken the ice cream, and can be found in other products such as coconut milk, yogurt, and body lotion. 

#SpoonTip: Check out this breakdown of all the ingredients in Breyers Delights for more information. 

How the Pints Taste

Hannah Freiberg

I tried the Creamy Chocolate Breyers Delights first. Compared to regular Breyers, it wasn't as creamy and chocolatey, but it still tasted like a standard chocolate ice cream. The ice cream's texture was similar to regular ice cream brands, which was a major plus.

I also sampled the Cookies and Cream flavor. Compared to regular cookies and cream, this ice cream tasted nearly identical. I was happy to eat this, knowing that it's healthier and just as tasty. It was sweet, creamy, and exactly what you what in cookies and cream ice cream.

#SpoonTip: Interested in hearing how the other flavors stacked up? Here's what one Spoon contributor thought of the three new flavors. 

Now that you know exactly what Breyers Delights is, you can feel good eating this healthy-ish ice cream, especially since it's not filled with tons of hard to pronounce chemicals. I'm excited to see what's next for Breyers Delights, and how its future flavors will compete against Halo Top.