From Halo Top to Arctic Zero, low-cal ice cream has been trending for awhile. This past summer, Halo Top became the best selling pint of ice cream in America. And now Breyers is joining the low-cal craze with their new Breyers Delights. Coming in seven flavors, Breyers Delights boast a narrower calorie range than Halo Top—every pint is between 260 and 330 calories. The magic, of course, is in the ingredients. Let's take a look at the Breyers Delights ingredients that make each pint so dang good. 

Soluble Corn Fiber

corn, pasture, cereal, vegetable, straw, maize, hazelnut
Jenny Georgieva

Made from the enzymatic hydrolysis of corn starch (which means it's broken down with water—thank you, organic chemistry), soluble corn fiber has been on the market since 2007. Valued for its low-sugar, high-fiber properties, soluble corn fiber is also found in Quest Bars. The ingredient helps increase calcium absorption and promotes digestive health (read: it can have a laxative effect).

Erythritol

cream, sweet
Aakanksha Joshi

With 70-80% of the sweetness of sugar, erythritol is a popular very low-calorie sweetener. A sugar alcohol or polyol, erythritol occurs naturally in fruits such as grapes and melons, but is manufactured for use in packaged products.

Milk Protein Concentrate

water, tea, milk
Alex Frank

MPC, made up of both micellar casein and whey proteins, is considered a complete dairy product. Containing 40-90% milk protein, lactose levels in MPC decreases as the protein concentration increases. MPC can be found in cheese, yogurt and protein bars.

Guar Gum

Guar gum is obtained from the seed of the guar plant and is used as an emulsifier and thickener. It's also found in almond milk, yogurts, and fiber supplements, as well as some body lotions.

Carob Bean Gum

Carob bean gum, also known as locust bean gum, is used as a sweet chocolate substitute. Why anyone would want to replace chocolate is beyond me, but carob bean gum does the trick. It's primary use, however, is as a thickening agent.

Reb A (Stevia Leaf Extract) 

Reb A or Rebaudioside A is a zero-calorie sweetener derived from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant. It is 200 to 400 times sweeter than table sugar.

Vitamin A Palmitate

egg, chicken, egg yolk

Vitamin A palmitate is also called retinol palmitate. Dietary sources include animal products such as fish, eggs, cheese, and butter. Vitamin A palmitate is also used in various skin creams.

The other, more normal Breyers Delights ingredients are skim milk, sugar, and cream. Something tells me you already know why these ingredients snuck into the pints. Having de-coded the Breyers Delights nutrition label, go forth and enjoy the latest low-cal ice cream. Or stick with Ben & Jerry's and some good old fashioned cream, sugar, and butter.