Ever since "One Dance" came out everyone wanted to be like Drake and have a Hennessy in their hand. What is brandy, though? Does anyone even know? Fear no more as here is the breakdown on what brandy is and how to fully appreciate it when you are trying to be as hip as the latest songs that are paying tribute to the drink.

Brandy: 101

Brandy is a "burned wine," or in simpler terms, it is a liquor that is distilled from wine. Brandy can also be distilled from the wine of other fruits like pears and apples. There are multiple types of brandy that exist, but the one that you most likely know best is Cognac which is Hennessy. Cognac is a brandy that is made specifically from grapes produced in a specific region in France.

Brandy also has a special lingo to it so you can know how long it has aged.  When the bottle states that the brandy is VS (Very Special) or has three stars, it means that the brandy has aged for at least two years. This tends to be the most common brandy in drinks. VSOP (Very Special Old Pale) brandy has been aged for at least four years. XO brandy means Extra Old and this brandy has aged for at least six and a half years. Vintage brandy, or hors d'age, is super duper special brandy that has aged for about a decade and will have the year the brandy was originally made on it.

Brandy is Strong AF

According to Liquor.com, most brandies range from 70-120 proof. This means that anywhere from 35% to 60% of the drink is alcohol. Compared to a basic beer or wine, brandy is very strong. Vodka is normally around 90-100 proof meaning 45%-50% is alcohol, so brandy can be about the same or even stronger. So be careful kids, and make sure you are drinking some water too.

That Brandy Aesthetic

Brandy has a golden brown color to it. It looks just as rich as you feel when sipping on it. The color is achieved from the aging of the drink or added to it just to enhance the appearance.

To enjoy your brandy, most people recommend sipping on it as is. You can also mix it in one of its most famous cocktails, the Hot Toddy. However, you should ultimately drink it the way you find best. Some recommend pairing brandy with citrus drinks since they go together well. Also, try sipping brandy at different temperatures as that will affect the flavor tones that come out.

whisky, wine, liquor, alcohol, brandy, cognac
Neva Nader

Now that you know the answer to what is brandy, go get that Hennessy in your hand and enjoy the drink properly. Enjoy and respect brandy for the special delicacy that it is. Just remember folks, drink responsibly.