If the only Tom and Jerry you're familiar with is the feisty cat and mouse duo, you'll probably find yourself asking "What is a Tom and Jerry?" at some point this holiday season. Thankfully you're in luck because Spoon has your back.

A "Tom and Jerry" is actually a holiday drink. It's traditionally served on a cold winter night while curled up by the fire. According to The New York Times, a "Tom and Jerry" is "a relative of eggnog that flourished in America in the 19th and early 20th centuries." It's a variant of eggnog with brandy and rum added and served hot, usually in a mug or a bowl. 

Apparently pre-made Tom and Jerry batter is a thing and is typically produced by Wisconsin and Minnesota manufacturers and sold in regional supermarkets during the Christmas season. It can be served with or without alcohol.

To make a Tom and Jerry, you make the batter as a separate ingredient from the add-ins (milk/eggnog/rum). It's a heavy drink that contains raw eggs — so consume in moderation. If you're curious about how to make your own, you can check out a recipe here.

To make it alcoholic, just fill up one cup of hot water with rum or brandy and add one tablespoon of batter. Adding alcohol is not a 100% effective way to kill harmful bacteria of the raw eggs. For non-alcoholic Tom and Jerry's, heat up one cup of milk, hot chocolate, or eggnog — then add one tablespoon of batter. Stir it all together and take a sip.

Ahhh, what a treat. Turn on your favorite holiday movie and nestle up by the fire with your new favorite holiday drink. This Christmas just got so much sweeter.