Cocktails are one of the most fun ways to drink, especially when it's hot outside. Although lately it's been about 30 degrees (in Florida), and everyone is dreaming of the summertime and the days of sipping a cocktail on the beach. One particular summer drink and a favorite of a couple friends of mine is the mojito. I'm a margarita type of girl, and often find myself wondering, what is a mojito? If you're curious yourself and want to expand your drinking preferences, read on to find out.

What Is a Mojito?

rum, havana club, Cuba, Mojito, ice, juice, cocktail, mint, tea, alcohol, liquor, iced tea
Alex Frank

The most important part of any drink recipe, of course, is the liquor, and what type you like can heavily influence your drink choices. Mojitos are made with rum. The other elements are fairly simple, consisting of lime juice, sugar, soda water, and mint. If you're someone who keeps to more basic drinks, the mojito may be your kind of cocktail.

Making a mojito does require a specific order. First, the mint is added to the sugar and lime juice. The drink is then muddled in order to release the oils from the mint leaves, while not breaking them. Muddling is an important process, but it can be tricky, and you should be careful not to overdo it. The muddling should be done gently until your kitchen smells like mint. The rum comes next, which dissolves the sugar and floats the mint. Finally, the ice and soda water is added.

If you typically enjoy more flavored drinks, there are many different mojito versions and recipes that can please you as well. Check out these easy mojito recipes to help you get started, although maybe don't shred the mint. If you want to try a fun twist, you can try these blueberry mojito popsicles, which are perfect for enjoying in the sun.

History of the Mojito

lime, vegetable, lemon, herb, citrus
Renee Chiu

Although there are uncertainties about where the mojito came from, most people agree that it came from a similar drink called "El Draque," which named after Sir Francis Drake. This drink was made with Cuban spearmint, sugarcane, lime, and tafia, which is a drink similar to rum that was made from distilled sugarcane. This drink was served in Cuba and eventually became the mojito.

#SpoonTip: This drink was a favorite of Ernest Hemingway, particularly at Cuban cantina La Bodeguita del Medio.

So now you know more about what exactly a mojito is, and you'll know exactly what you're sipping by the pool. Spring break is only a couple months away, and now you can decide if you'll be adding this cocktail to your plans.