Visiting a farmers market should be on everyone's summer bucket list. One of my favorite things to admire are the vibrant-colored fruits and veggies that are displayed in the various booths. But my all time favorite thing is the free samples. At my hometown farmers market, you'll find me tasting Dale's Gourmet Kettle Popcorn, and just about everything else. Whether you're a frequent shoppers or you've never been, here are five things to keep in mind for your next trip to the farmers market!

1. Browse

tomato, pasture, vegetable
Adriana Avila

There are so many options! Are there tomatoes at five different stands? Try comparing the prices and different varieties to find just what you're looking for. Take a look all of the booths and be sure to talk to the awesome vendors for more information. They're always willing to lend a helping hand.

2. Sample

sweet, apple, pasture, nectarine, peach
Adriana Avila

We've all heard that rule "never to go shopping when you're hungry." At a farmers market, that rule doesn't exist. Taste matters and vendors know this. It's kind of like trying on clothes before purchasing them, except better because food. Plus, who doesn't like a free sample?

3. Purchase

cake, beer
Adriana Avila

Everybody eats. Therefore, most of us go grocery shopping unless you grow all of your own food (props to you). Instead of buying something at a grocery store, try buying something at the market. Also, it's really cool to speak with the people who grow the food. Learning who and where your food comes from is a great way to grow closer to your community. Whether you buy something for yourself or for others, you can leave a farmers market knowing you support your local community.

4. Bring Reusable Bags

If you find yourself buying something from every booth, then consider bringing some reusable bags. Reusable bags are great for carrying everything. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and designs, so you're bound to find one that works for you. Some can hold more than the average plastic bag. You know what that means—more room for goodies! 

5. Enjoy your Goodies

All that browsing, sampling, and purchasing has led you to this moment. In fulfilling this final step, you may feel the urge do a little dance. This is one result of a successful trip to the farmers market.

There are definitely more that five things to do at a farmers market. That being said, these things are just some suggestions and points to keep in mind. Now's the time to get in touch with your local farmers market.