On Tuesday, April 17, UCF’s Knights for Animal Rights, UCF Sustainability Initiatives, Knights of the Turntables, The Arboretum, YAYA Justice for Farm Workers, OneProtest, ARFF, Space Coast Animal Rights, Be The Match and Volunteer UCF organizations banded together for a "Lett-Us Eat" food festival on campus. The event was the first of its kind at UCF and served to educate students on veganism and sustainability.

At the festival, there were giveaways of Beyond Burgers, Ethos Vegan Kitchen gift cards, cruelty-free makeup, Ben and Jerry's dairy-free ice Cream and vegan grab-and-go snacks.

Anita Mui

Vegan recipes and free hugs were also distributed to the passerby to spread the message of veganism and kindness. The Knights for Animal Rights group even created a helpful guide to eating vegan at UCF. While being vegan or vegetarian as a college student can be tough because a lot of the convenient “broke college student” foods contain animal products (I’m looking at you, ramen), it doesn’t have to be expensive and doesn’t mean you have to drive all the way to Whole Foods. Getting involved with groups like the hosts of Lett-Us Eat can help you navigate the veggie lifestyle, make friends with like-minded students and have a great time along the way. 

Anita Mui

We already know there is no shortage of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants in Orlando and it is awesome to see students sharing the joy of veganism and raising awareness about how going meatless (and also dairy-free) can help the planet on campus.

After all,  just one pound of beef contributes to more carbon dioxide than burning a gallon of gasoline and uses 1,799 gallons of water. Being a vegetarian or vegan doesn’t just help save animal lives, it helps save all life.

Anita Mui

Events and campaigns like this are so important not just in April, but year-round because climate change and animal welfare are always concerns. #EveryDayIsEarthDay