Hello, vegan date night dinner ideas. Honestly, sometimes it's just nice to stay in with bae and cook up a fabulous meal. You've got all the freedom you want, you don't even need to walk outside to the car, and best of all, its practically free! (Practically, because it's way cheaper than going out to eat). This list has something for every couple, and each idea is totally customizable, whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or a full-blown omnivore. 

1. Waffles 

Ok, I know what you're thinking here: Waffles for dinner, are you kidding me? But trust me, sometimes some sweet, pillowy, yet crispy waffles are all you need for a fantastic (and stupidly easy) date night meal. My boyfriend and I actually made waffles for dinner one of the first times we cooked together, and it was a blast. Plus, waiting for all the waffles to be cooked allows for some serious catch-up time between you and your SO that you may not get during a busy school week. 

Waffles are also incredibly customizable, whether you use a mix or make the batter yourself. They can be chocolate waffles by adding cocoa powder, fruit waffles by adding strawberries, blueberries, or banana in while they are cooking, or my personal favorite: chocolate chip waffles. The toppings are endless too– more chocolate (sauce or chips), maple syrup, butter, peanut butter, fruit, coconut flakes, cookie butter, or even chocolate hazelnut spread. The only challenging part to making this dinner is to not eat all the waffles hot out of the iron, so control yourselves kids. 

2. Spring Rolls

Looking for a fun meal to prepare with your bf/gf? Then spring rolls are the best option for you because they involve lots of chopping, and lots of laughs when trying to actually roll the rolls. Yes, some of them may look terrible and lumpy, but its all in the fun of it (and they all go the same place anyway). The trick to spring rolls is to prepare a variety of fillings, and have 2-3 tasty sauces to go on the side. When my boyfriend and I made these, we used bell peppers, romaine, power greens, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, and lots of avocado. Other add-ins include baked tofu, tempeh, cabbage, mango, green papaya, or even sliced apple. The sauces are all up to you too– peanut sauce is a classic (and my personal favorite), but sweet chili sauce, teriyaki sauce, or a spicy sriracha mayo are all great options as well. 

3. Sushi

Just like the spring rolls, sushi is a great option for a fun (and a little messy) dinner experience. Making vegetarian and vegan sushi is incredibly easy because you don't have to deal with the scary possibility of any contamination from raw fish. All you have to do to start is cook some sushi rice, add in salt, sugar, and rice wine vinegar, and let the mixture cool. Next, prepare all your veggies for the inside of the rolls– I like tons of avocado, cucumber, carrots, bell pepper, sweet potato, and fresh mango. After you've chopped up all your fruits and veggies, the rolling can begin. This can be a little tricky at first, but a Youtube video and some practice will make it a cinch. Serve with copious amounts of pickled ginger, Bragg's aminos or soy sauce, and wasabi if desired. 

4. Fettuccine Alfredo 

Fettucine alfredo is a restaurant classic, but did you know you could make an easy, healthy, and vegan version in the comfort of your own home? Yup, its true, you can. All you need is your ingredients, a stove, and a blender. This is one of my absolute favorite meals to cook and eat because it is truly so easy and so decadent. The base is simple, just boil some linguine until its al dente and some kind of green veggie on the side to #getthosegreensin. For the sauce, bust out your trusty blender and blend up cashews, lemon juice, and spices and you've got yourself a creamy alfredo sauce. If you truly want to go all out, make some homemade garlic bread with Earth Balance butter and roasted garlic on the side for some restaurant-worthy Italian food. 

5. Pizza

What's better than ordering a pizza and having a chill movie night? Making a pizza and having a chill movie night. Why, you ask? First of all, you get to brush up on your cooking skills (or just laugh at your partner's). Also, you can put whatever the heck you want on your pizza (or pizzas)! This is easily the most customizable dinner even, from the dough to the sauce, to the toppings. This is a great meal idea if you and yours SO have different dietary needs and preferences as well.

The whole dough part may sound intimidating, but it shouldn't be! Trader Joe's (the real homie) has three different types of pre-made pizza doughs, including plain, herb, and whole wheat. The combinations are endless, and some fun vegan gourmet toppings include vegan sausage, vegan mozzarella or ricotta cheese, sundried tomatoes, truffle oil, balsamic glaze, arugula, fancy olives, or even fruit for a dessert pizza

6. Gourmet Burgers 

Oh, baby. I haven't met anyone who doesn't like a good burger, and if you're vegan, vegetarian, or just looking to reduce your meat intake and eat more plants, then this option is for you. There are hundreds of different plant-based patties out there to chose from nowadays, and I have found so many favorites throughout the years, including the Sweet Earth veggie burgers, Dr. Praeger's patties, and the Morningstar brand. If you and your SO want a meaty and indulgent alternative, check out the Beyond Meat burgers or Field Roast burgers for scarily accurate burger patties. 

Just as important as the patty itself are the toppings and the bun. My favorite buns are from Trader Joe's– the wheat burger buns and the pretzel bagels (used as a bun). If you've never tried pretzel bun burgers a try, I would start there. For toppings, obviously include the classics like pickles, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, avocado, and tomato– but don't stop here! Get creative and use truffle mayo, sauteed onions or mushrooms, baked fries, veggie bacon or seitan, saurkraut, or even a homemade slaw. And yes, it will be messy, so be prepared to be prepared to smile at your partner with mustard smeared across your face. 

7. Brownie Sundae

And of course, we can't forget dessert. Especially brownies and ice cream. A brownie sundae pairs well with any of the savory meals in this list, like homemade pizza or stacked burgers. To make the brownie sundae, definitely invest in a good quality brownie mix (just to make it easier after having cooked a whole dinner meal). My favorites are the Ghiradelli dark chocolate mix or the Trader Joe's truffle brownie mix– both are definite winners in my book. Also, investing in a good quality ice cream is major key– think Coconut Bliss, So Delicious cashew-based ice creams, NadaMoo, Ben & Jerry's, or even vegan Haagen Dazs– skip the Halo Top for this recipe. 

The rest of the preparation is simple– bake the brownies, set the ice cream out to thaw into perfectly melty goodness, let the brownies cool, and then serve with vegan whipped topping, chopped fruit, nuts, and sprinkles if desired.