We're all aware of it, and you feel it looming each time you enter your college's dining hall. The Freshman 15.

The infamous "Freshman 15" is a very popular expression that claims you will gain fifteen pounds your first year of college. As a current freshman, I was initially haunted by this myth, but I can now tell you three months into college that it is much easier to avoid than you may think it is.

Composing a majority of my diet with these foods below has allowed me to maintain the same weight as when I began my journey as a college freshman. 

And yes, that's including the all-too-common “treat yo-self” boba runs.

1. Sandwiches

sandwich, bread, toast, ham

I know this may sound unconventional, but a sandwich for lunch instead of a burger or a plate of pasta acts as a better way to give you energy for the rest of the day while remaining a little healthier. 

#SpoonTip: Avoid white bread as much as possible.

2. Greek Yogurt

Susanna Mostaghim

Greek yogurt acts as a good replacement for desserts, snacks and higher-carb breakfasts. A local grocery store will definitely sell a tub of Greek yogurt and it is easy to keep in an either communal or personal refrigerator in your dorm. And there are endless ways to spice up your yogurt with fresh fruit, granola, or different kinds of spreads.

3. Smoothies/Açaí Bowls

strawberry, ice, juice, smoothie
Savannah Carter

Smoothies are usually accessible somewhere on your campus, or perhaps you brought your own blender up. Instead of going for the tempting but sugary freeze blended beverages go for a smoothie instead. Or try a nice Açaí bowl while you're at it.

4. Oatmeal

porridge, cereal, milk, sweet, oatmeal, muesli, granola, oatmeal cereal, rice
Christin Urso

You enter your dining hall in the morning and are about to pour your waffle mix into the waffle maker when you decide to have a nice bowl of warm, inviting oatmeal instead. Congrats, you just fought the fifteen. In addition, keeping oatmeal and honey in your dorm makes for a great and much healthier snack than some ramen at two in the morning.

5. Granola Bars

chocolate, candy, pecan, nut, sweet
Emma Delaney
While yes, some granola bars are considered to be sugary, I still consider it a win when you choose to eat one granola bar instead of two slices of pie. It takes will power, but each time you're reaching for the pie just think to yourself, "I want this, but does my body want this?" And the answer is no. Your body wants a granola bar.

6. Almond Butter

chocolate, butter, peanut, peanut butter

Local grocery stores sell almond butter and you can spread this stuff on apples, bananas, celery, add into yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies and anything that floats your boat. I like to think, “I was this close to choosing nutella” (don't get me wrong Nutella is amazing, but unfortunately we can't have it everyday).

7. Fruit/Vegetables

berry, blueberry, sweet, bilberry, blackberry, pasture

When you’re leaving the dining hall, grab an apple instead of a cookie. This takes intense will power as well, but when you realize “hey, this apple is pretty tasty,” that’s another battle won fighting the freshman 15.

8. Salads

vegetable, pepper, tomato, cheese, greek salad, salad
Julia Maguire

Whether it be in your college dining hall or a restaurant near/on your campus, most colleges encourage “eating healthy” and will offer some outlet that allows you to prepare or purchase a filling and enjoyable salad. Don’t forget to check out local grocery stores for easy pre-made salads as well. 

#SpoonTip: Watch for those sugar-filled dressings.

9. Healthy Go-to Beverage

beer
Torey Walsh

It’s a common habit for people to eat when bored, so instead of pulling out the snacks, pull out the tea bags, the sparkling water, the coconut water, whatever your preference is, and drink up instead of snacking. Kombucha is a tasty bubbly drink that comes in delicious flavors as well as nutritious probiotics.