Ah, the peril of being young and broke, and living in New York City. Saving money is always a top priority for students, but fine dining doesn't always have to cost a pretty penny. If you're yearning for a delicious meal that will make you feel fancy, but are on a tight budget, look no further than this broke student's guide to fine dining.

Do Your Research

notes, textbook, study snack, snacks, studying, clif bar, tangerine, cutie

The first step of fine dining on a broke student's budget is to check out a restaurant's Instagram, website, and reviews for prices and portion sizes. You don’t want to get there and end up paying $15 for a spoon of acai puree with delicate candied flowers on top. You also want to make sure that the restaurant has an a la carte menu and not only an expensive Prix fix menu. It's also a good idea to check that there is not a minimum that would break the bank. Being a dessert girl, I always look at all the menus before choosing the restaurant in case I need to order the cheap entrée with no salad so I can still feel good about ordering that decadent chocolate cake.

Make a Reservation

wine, beer, coffee, pizza
Allen Peng

Once you have chosen the place, be sure to make a reservation. Never forget that time is money and saving it is very important. You can start your night out on the right foot when you arrive at a restaurant knowing that you will be served. You don't want to get stuck in the typical “half an hour to an hour” wait line. Another bonus of making a reservation is that you won’t be famished when you get your menu, so you won’t run the risk of ordering too much. Also, make sure to “reserve” a friend who is willing to split an entrée with you.

Skip The Soda

tea, juice, sweet
Becky Hughes

When the server comes for drink orders, I recommend skipping the soda and going for water. Not only is it free but it also won’t fill you up or conflict with the flavors of your food, guaranteeing a full-flavor experience.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions 

whole foods market inside bar, Whole Foods Market, tables and chairs, bar events, wine menu, Bar, beer, wine
Shelby Cohron

Now that it’s time to order your meal, find that friend who agreed to split an entrée with you and talk over the menu with him or her. If your friend changes his or her mind or there’s nothing you two can agree on, move to the appetizers. Sometimes you can get two delicious appetizers for the same price or a lesser price than an entree. Keep in mind that some restaurants are known for their appetizers.

Split it Up

date, coffee
Becky Hughes

Always ask for separate check BEFORE you order your food. You won’t have the awkward splitting debacle at the end of your meal, and you won’t be shortchanged.

Consider The Recommendations 

change, currency, dollars, cash, coins, money, beer, tea
Anna Arteaga

It can often be a good idea to ask the waiter for a recommendation when you are deciding between menu items or when you can’t decide at all. However, keep the prices in mind after hearing his or her recommendation. While your waiter can give you good suggestions, if they can sell you the $25 entree instead of the $13 one, they may try to do that before they consider the taste.

Keep Mindfulness in Mind

Sesame, Dumplings, broccoli, rice, chicken, shrimp, curry
Casey Twomey

Finally, no matter how nice the restaurant is, always ask for a box of your leftover food. I am a stickler for not wasting food and always end up eating my leftovers. I was at one of my favorite restaurants when my friends didn’t want their leftovers, but the waiter insisted, saying, “You can take them to the homeless." I’m not saying you need to become the Mother Theresa of leftovers, but it's always good to stay mindful of what you’re eating, so there is no waste. 

If you follow these guidelines, you'll be dining like royalty (on occasion).