There’s nothing better than melty scoops of ice cream stuffed between two warm cookies on a hot summer day. As the messiest eater alive, I can tell you that getting it all over your hands and face is just part of the experience that an ice cream sandwich has to offer. It’s truly a dessert like no other because you get two sweets instead of one: cookies and ice cream. That’s a win-win if you ask me.

Ice cream sandwiches are a summertime favorite, so it’s not uncommon to come across them all around the US, and even the world. But there are some places that absolutely kill the sandwich game. Here are the best ice cream sandwiches across America that you must try before the end of the summer. 

Traverse City, MI: MOOmers 

Not only does this place have the cutest name, but they have unreal classic chipwiches that are sure to impress. Located in Traverse City, Michigan, MOOmers gives you the option to choose between their 160+ homemade ice cream flavors to include in your sandwich. Talk about endless options! 

Culver City, CA: Coolhaus

If you’re looking for the opposite of average, you’ll find it at Coolhaus. With some of the most unique flavors of ice cream sandwiches, changing throughout the summer, this Culver City, California favorite is definitely one of the best around. Did I mention they also ship all across the country? You really have absolutely no excuse not to give Coolhaus a try. 

NYC, NY: Ice & Vice

The ice cream sandwiches at Ice & Vice in New York City know absolutely no bounds. You can use any of their homemade experimental flavors in your sammie, but if I were you I’d go with their signature “Detention Ice Cream Sandwich” made with malted vanilla, Mexican chocolate brownie and topped off with fruity pebble dust. And it comes in a cone with even more ice cream. It doesn’t get better than that!

Scottsdale & Phoenix, AZ: Sweet Republic

With two locations in Arizona, Sweet Republic knows that ice cream sandwiches are the only way to cool off this summer. They’ve got lots of unique flavors to put between your chocolate chip cookies like Sweet Berry Cobbler and Peaches N Cream. You really can’t go wrong with any of their options because all ice cream sandwiches are good ice cream sandwiches.

Boston, MA: Blackbird Doughnuts

Anyone that knows me knows that doughnuts are hands down my favorite food ever. So, the idea of bringing together doughnuts and ice cream sandwiches is a truly life-changing concept, and for that, I’d like to thank Blackbird Doughnuts. At either of their two locations in the Boston area, you’re free to combine any doughnut with any flavor of their homemade ice cream. I’m on my way!

Asheville, NC: Sunshine Sammies

You know that ice cream sandwiches are the priority at Sunshine Sammies located in North Carolina. With solar powered carts all around Asheville as well as a storefront, there’s always a Sammie close by, and let’s be real — that’s really all that matters. This place is definitely worth a road-trip to Asheville.

Los Angeles, CA: Churro Borough

Los Angeles is always on top of the trends. Churro Borough, located in the heart of Los Feliz, California is no exception. By the name, you could guess that they are of course known for their churro ice cream sandwiches, which honestly sounds like the dessert that would make all my dreams come true. Churro Borough, if you’re reading this, please send me some samples.

Tampa, FL: Dough

Okay, so we’re back on that doughnut grind. Never anything wrong with that. Dough in Tampa, Florida is a bakery that knows how make a mean doughnut ice cream sandwich. They’ve got all your typical doughnut and ice cream flavors to choose from. Not only do they have doughnut ice cream sammies, but they also have the classic cookie sandwiches and even macaron sandwiches. Talk about ice cream #goals.

Cleveland, OH: Cathy's Creamery

If you want to take your ice cream sandwich to another level, the only place to do it is Cathy’s Creamery. Not only do you get your choice of ice cream and cookies, but you also get to add on a topping that will coat the sides of your ice cream sandwich. Whether it be M&Ms, sprinkles, chocolate chips or nuts, this Cleveland hotspot has got all your favorite toppings to add a little extra something to your chipwich.

Atlanta, GA: Miller Union

Not a lot of ice cream sandwiches can claim to have the true aesthetic like those at Miller Union. Shaped into perfect squares, these ice cream sandwiches are heavy on the ice cream and light on the sandwich cookies, but honestly, there isn’t ever a bad chipwich ratio. These are for sure one of the most Insta-worthy on the list.

NYC, NY: Francois Payard Bakery

There’s nothing a French bakery does better than macarons. That’s a fact. So Francois Payard Bakery figured they would use what they know best by filling light and flaky macarons with ice cream and sorbet to make delicious ice cream sammies. There’s honestly nothing better than sinking your teeth into one of these treats.

Now that you’re armed with the best ice cream sandwiches in America, it’s time to try them all. I suggest you forgo the rest of your summer plans and do a cross-country ice cream sandwich tour (TBH my current plan). You won’t be disappointed with any of these top-notch places. And don’t forget, unless you’re getting it all over your face — hands you’re doing it wrong.