In the States you can find all sorts of non-traditional and controversial sushi dishes including sushi pizza, sushi burgers, sushi burritos, sushi cakes and perhaps the most shocking, sushi donuts. I know what you're thinking. "Sushi donuts? What the heck is that?" but don't worry, it isn't as scary as it sounds. First going viral last year, sushi donuts are essentially a fancy maki roll or onigiri. To make a sushi donut you take seasoned sushi rice and mold it into a circular donut shape, from there the chef adds standard sushi toppings like avocado, salmon, tuna or tobiko. That's right, there's no chocolate frosting or deep fried dough involved.

Tessa Domzalski

Those of us in Thailand were not privy to this sushi renaissance (a term I've just coined), leaving us drooling over our phone screens and wondering to ourselves: Does that even taste good? Well, those days of wondering are over! Thai fans of Instagrammable foods can finally get their hands on sushi donuts at Tatsumi Bangkok, a Japanese restaurant in the heart of town that gets their ingredients straight from Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan!  This means that the sushi donuts are as trendy as they are tasty.

Tessa Domzalski

With several types of sushi donuts on their menu you're sure to find something that'll tickle your fancy and make all your friends jealous. My personal favorite is the salmon sushi donut which comes topped with avocado and lots of ikura — perfect for any salmon lover. If fish isn't your favorite thing but you still want to try a sushi donut, don't worry, Tatsumi Bangkok offers a vegetarian option that comes with avocado, carrot, radish and cucumber — doesn't that sound delish?! And if you've been wondering how you eat a sushi donut it's really quite simple: you use your chopstick to cut yourself a bitesize piece of the donut and you eat it just like you would any other piece of sushi. It's that easy! 

Tessa Domzalski

Now that you know where to find a sushi donut in Bangkok you have no excuse to not try this trendy treat. Just make sure to take a photo before digging in! 

Where to find Tatsumi Bangkok

Phone number: +66 02 048 4766

Address: 2nd floor Pathumwan Princess Hotel, Phayathai Rd

Closest public transportation: BTS National Stadium