I got a little worried when I heard President Trump didn't believe in climate change. (Come on, did he never take a science class in high school?) But after venting to friends and family members, I decided to use his anti-environment ideas as motivation to make myself more eco-friendly. Even though I am able to benefit the environment from being vegan, I wanted to use this new year and presidential term to invest further into making my own changes in the kitchen to ensure a healthy planet

1. Glass Straws

Why waste plastic and paper on a single use product? I know there are many people in the world that use straws almost everyday. The paper wrapping as well as the plastic from the straw adds up. But don't worry, you don't need to give up using straws entirely, just switch to a glass one that can be washed and reused every day. And if you do come in a hunch and need a plastic straw, please always remember to recycle it. 

2. Reusable Produce Bags

I understand how important it is to shop in the perimeter of the grocery store, but to make your life healthier and eco-friendlier, you should use reusable produce bags. You no longer need to struggle to find the plastic bag dispenser and fidget while trying to open one. Instead, just have carry a pack of reusable ones inside your reusable shopping bags. This will make your life easier and you'll be saving the planet. 

3. Reusable Silicone Stretch Lids 

A recent amazon shopping spree of mine lead me to find these reusable silicone stretch libs. They're perfect for covering food or any open containers. Say goodbye to annoying saran wrap and aluminum foil. 

4. Eco-Friendly Reusable Gift Wrap

This gift wrap is perfect for any holiday or occasion. The reusable fabric helps eliminate paper while also being cute and fashionable. The actual gift wrap itself is a gift that the person receiving the present can use as a future gift

5. Plastic Chopsticks

I think it's kind of a universal agreement that the majority of Americans love sushi or any type of asian food. Rather than using the wooden chopsticks wrapped in unnecessary paper, buy a pair of reusable plastic chopsticks that can be washed and used over and over again. Not only is this a better choice for the environment, but studies have shown that eating with chopsticks slows down how fast you eat. This gives you more time to digest before finishing your food. Therefore, you end up eating less. (Is this an excuse to not go to the gym?)

6. Spiralizer

Eating a plant based diet is very important if you want to save the planet. It takes more water and land to raise and feed animals then if you were to grow the same amount of plants. There are many spoon articles about the benefits of going vegan but to make the transition easier and more fun, a spiralizer is essential. 

7. Compost Trashcan

This trashcan turns food scraps into compost within 24 hours. It reduces food waste while making natural, organic, fertilizer for your garden. Although this invention may not be out yet, you can still fill a garbage bag of compost and use it as a compost pile instead. 

I'm not asking you to buy and implement all these eco-friendly kitchen products into your life at once. Instead, start with one or two products and hopefully the amazing feeling of benefiting the environment will cause you to make more small changes in your daily life.