As a self-proclaimed instant noodle connoisseur, I've eaten my fair share of these easy meals over the years and have discovered that some definitely stand above the rest. My favorite brand happens to be Samyang, which sells incredibly spicy instant noodles that will put your average Cup Noodles to shame. I had previously only eaten their original hot chicken flavor, but after discovering the various other flavors at my local grocery store I knew I had no choice but to try the rest — for you, dear reader, and for the sake of science. So, here it is, my official-yet-unofficial ranking of nine spicy Samyang flavors. You are welcome!

#SpoonTip: Level up any instant noodles with these tips and tricks. 

#9 Mala Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

This is the only Samyang flavor that I probably wouldn't buy again. Meant to be numbingly spicy like the sauce it's named after, this flavor happens to be one of the less spicy ones on this list. There's a slightly bitter aftertaste that you'll either wind up loving or hating it--I'm obviously the latter. 

#8 Ice Type Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

Taking the time to cook noodles and then having to wait for them to cool back down seems like a waste of time to me. While the actual flavor is tasty enough (it's similar to the original chicken flavor), eating cold noodles has little to no appeal to me. Maybe if there was a heat wave I'd have some interest, but then I'd have to ask myself why I was even eating spicy noodles in the first place.

#7 2x Spicy Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

With a Scoville rating of about 8000 units (which is the equivalent of eating an entire jalapeno), this Samyang flavor not only became a viral internet challenge but is also one of the spiciest instant noodles on the market. With a high chance of making you sweat, this flavor is worth trying at least once...just so you can say you did. 

#6 Stew Type Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

One of my favorite things about Samyang's noodles is that they're drier than your average instant ramen, guaranteeing that your noodles don't become soggy and that the delicious sauce clings to each strand. This stewed version doesn't have that. While spicy and flavorful it's fairly unmemorable when compared to the rest of the Samyang flavors. 

#5 Jjajang Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

Since the Samyang brand comes from South Korea, creating a flavor that represents their country was inevitable. While you get a hint of sweetness from the distinctive jjajangmyeon black bean sauce, the Samyang spice nearly covers it up entirely. Coming in at 1920 Scoville units this also happens to be the mildest flavor on this list, so you won't have to worry about being in too much pain while eating it.

#4 Carbonara Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

If this flavor had been given a different name it probably would have ranked higher on this list, but given the fact that this tastes nothing like Italian carbonara, it's going to get a few demerits. Traditionally, carbonara is made with cheese, guanciale/pancetta, egg, and pepper. This flavor is more milky than it is cheesy while the addition of garlic powder and parsley makes it taste like a different dish altogether. It's still tasty, though.

#3 Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

The first in Samyang's spicy noodle empire, this savory flavor is a must-try for any instant noodle fan. Besides tasting delicious on its own, it's also great for experimenting with. Feel free to try it with different toppings (soft boiled eggs and furikake are my choice) or turn it into a stir-fry. Either way, I'm sure that after tasting it you'll realize why this was the flavor that started it all.

#2 Cheese Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

If you're one of those people who likes cheese in their ramen (it isn't as weird as it sounds) then this is the Samyang flavor for you. Besides including the standard sauce packet, this flavor also includes powdered, processed, cheddar-like cheese with flecks of nori. Less spicy than some of its counterparts, this is a good way to introduce yourself to Samyang noodles if you want to try something out-of-the-box. 

#1 Curry Hot Chicken Flavor

Photo via Amazon

One of the spicier flavors, there is still a sweetness to this dish that keeps it from being excruciatingly hot. With a distinct curry flavor that you'd probably associate with Indian food, this flavor tastes wildly different than any of the others. The thick, springy noodles are a treat and I find that this is the Samyang flavor I reach for the most often.

Editor's Note: Article originally published Mar 7, 2019