While stuck at home in quarantine, I've been obsessed with TikTok. I can spend hours scrolling through my feed, laughing and sending the most relatable videos to my friends. A few days ago, while I was looking at my For You Page, Lizzo popped up. I normally don't get a lot of celebrity content on my FYP, but more food and mental health videos.

In the TikTok video, Lizzo was showing her fans how she makes plant-based fried chicken and biscuits. While watching the videos, I noticed that Lizzo used JUST Egg in her recipe. I audibly gasped because I love JUST Egg. I felt instantly closer to this world-famous singer once I found out she cooks with this brand and now you can too. 

JUST Egg saw Lizzo's video and decided to recreate her recipe and I wanted to share it with you!

“The Lizzo” Breakfast Sandwich

Photo Courtesy of Eat JUST, Inc.
Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits (makes  8-10)

-6 oz (1 ½ sticks) butter (we use Miyoko’s Creamery)

-3 cups all-purpose flour

-3 tablespoons sugar

-4 teaspoons baking powder

-½ teaspoon salt

-½ teaspoon cream of tartar

-1 cup JUST Egg

-¼ cup sliced, pickled jalapeños (drained)

-¼ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese

Fried Oyster Mushrooms

-1 lb oyster mushrooms

-2 cups flour

-2 teaspoons garlic powder

-2 teaspoons onion powder

-1 teaspoon Old Bay or Cajun seasoning

-1 teaspoon salt

-½ cup JUST Egg

-½ cup unsweetened almond milk

-Neutral oil, for frying

Sandwich

-JUST Egg Folded

-Thousand Island dressing or chipotle mayo

-Sliced tomato

-Shredded iceberg lettuce (optional)

Directions:

1. Freeze the butter

Place butter into the freezer for at least 2 hours. Grate the frozen butter and then place back into the freezer.

2. Make the biscuits

Preheat oven to 425°F. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Cut the frozen butter into the dry ingredients using a fork or 2 knives, until it resembles the texture of rough cornmeal. Return the bowl to the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and fold in the jalapeños, cheese and JUST Egg. Do not overwork the dough. You can add additional JUST Egg if mixture is too dry or additional flour if mixture seems to runny. Lay dough on a lightly floured work surface and pat out by hand to about 1-inch thickness. Cut into 3x4-inch rectangles and place on parchment lined baking tray, spaced 2-inches apart. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside.

3. Fry the oyster mushrooms

Set your burner on medium-high heat and preheat a pot of frying oil to about 350°F. Whisk together the wet batter: milk, JUST Egg, 1 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon seasoning, and ½ teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, combine the dry mix: 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon seasoning, and ½ teaspoon salt. Gently tear the oyster mushrooms into mid-sized chunks – whatever will fit well in the biscuit sandwiches. Dip each oyster mushroom chunk in the wet batter, tapping off excess. Dredge in the dry mix then set aside on a wire rack. Once all the pieces are battered, begin transferring to the hot oil and fry in small batches until lightly golden brown, 2-3 minutes each. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towels to drain.

4. Heat the JUST Egg Folded

Heat up desired number of JUST Egg Folded in a toaster, skillet, oven or microwave, according to the directions on the box.

5. Assemble the sandwich

Split open a biscuit, spread with Thousand Island or chipotle mayo, layer with JUST Egg Folded, fried oyster mushrooms, tomato and lettuce. 

Check out the video for how to make the breakfast sandwich below!