As a pescatarian who doesn't trust the fish in the dining halls, I have had to learn how to get the protein I need in other ways.

One awesome way to get more protein is through the vegetables that you're probably eating anyway, so we're going to find out just how much protein are in them. 

First, we need to determine how much protein you need in your diet. Everyone's body is different, but this article can help you figure out what is best for you.

Broccoli: 4 grams

broccoli, kale
Emily Hu

Each spear has about 0.9 grams of protein and a serving size is about 150 grams of raw broccoli. But if this protein-loaded veggie has never been your thing, check out these recipes—you'll learn to love it.

Carrots: 1 gram

vegetable, carrot, pasture
Charlotte Hull

One serving of carrots is about five medium sized carrots, and because they're rich in Vitamin A, they really do help your eyesight! If you're looking for a way to spice up this time old snack, check out these carrot fries.

Tomatoes: 1 gram

vegetable, tomato, basil
Katie Huang

One serving of tomatoes is equal to one regular sized tomato. There's a debate as to wether or not tomatoes are considered  fruits or vegetables, but I decided to include them anyway.

Here's an awesome recipe if you're craving your mom's tomato soup this winter.

Eggplant: 1 gram

vegetable, eggplant, aubergine, squash
Helena Lin
One serving of eggplant is classified as one cup of raw eggplant.

If you're looking for ideas for this veggie other than the classic eggplant parm (or if you're gluten-free), check out this veggie burger recipe with eggplant buns.

Kale: 2 grams

salad, vegetable
Alex Weiner

One cup, or 67 grams of raw kale is considered a serving. Kale has really rocketed into the spotlight as a super food in the past few years, and there's a way to prepare it for every meal; from a nutritious breakfast smoothie, a classic kale salad for lunch, kale chips for your mid afternoon snack, and finally, stuffed squash for dinner.

Asparagus: 2.9 grams

asparagus, vegetable
Angela Pizzimenti

Each spear of asparagus has about 0.4 grams of protein, but a serving size is considered equal to one cup. Asparagus is a favorite side dish, try this awesome BBQ recipe that pairs it with salmon (another protein heavy food).

Brussels sprouts: 3 grams

salad, vegetable, broccoli, cabbage
Alison Weissbrot

About one cup of Brussels sprouts is considered a serving. This veggie tends to get a bad rap and if you really think you can't get behind it, try this pumpkin spice option before throwing in the towel.

Lettuce: 1 gram

cabbage, vegetable, lettuce, salad, iceberg lettuce
Hannah Fullmer

One serving size of lettuce is seen as 72 grams, or one cup shredded. Salads aren't the only way you can use this veggie, try these buffalo chicken lettuce wraps the next time you're trying to finish a head of lettuce.

Spinach: 1 gram

spinach, vegetable, salad, lettuce, basil, relish, herb
Kristine Mahan

One serving of spinach is equal to one cup, or 30 grams of raw spinach. This veggie is super versatile, it's a great addition for your protein smoothie, your grilled cheese, or even as a great snack dip.

Zucchini: 2 grams

vegetable, squash, zucchini, cucumber, courgette, marinated cucumber, sweet
Kirby Barth

One serving of zucchini is equal to one cup of raw zucchini, or 124 grams. Zucchini has proved that it's more than just a classic side dish; people have gotten creative with the veggie in the past few years making it the crust for gluten free pizza, a linguini substitute and even a healthy alternative to french fries.

Squash: 1 gram

sweet, vegetable, melon, cantaloupe
Malia Hu

Both winter and summer squash have 1 gram of protein in one serving size, which is one cup of raw squash. Although squash can look intimidating, no matter what your experience level, this veggie is doable. 

Cucumbers: 1 gram

cucumber, marinated cucumber, salad, vegetable, pickled cucumber
Haliana Burhans

One serving of cucumber is equal to about one cup of raw cucumber slices. The last veggie is certainly not least; they're not only versatile when it comes to meals, but they have a ton of potential for life hacks as well.

Now that you know all the protein benefits of those veggies you may have been avoiding, you HAVE to add them to your routine.