If you follow Kylie on Snapchat, then you (and the other 9 million people who follow her) have seen the youngest Jenner profess her love for pomegranates on multiple occasions. Maybe it's just 'cause they're insanely good to eat, or maybe Kylie has known about the secret life of pomegranates, but this girl eats them like it's her job. 

Pre-Kylie takeover, my first pomegranate experience was with a Costco-size bag of Brookside dark chocolate-covered pomegranates, and I literally ate half the bag. Looking back on it, of course I discovered the candy version of the fruit before the actual fruit, no thanks to my sweet tooth.

After that, I ventured out to buy an actual pomegranate to see if they were as good without the glob of dark chocolate covering them. I didn't even Google pomegranates before I bought them, which seems mental to me now because I don't even buy toothpaste without searching "best toothpaste." I quickly learned the hard way that a pomegranate is not just like an apple where you can peel and eat. There is a certain way to seed a pomegranate, and if you haven't looked it up you need to watch this video before you do. You'll thank me when you aren't covered in red pomegranate juice. 

Long story short, I consumed pomegranates for a while without knowing I was eating the superman of fruits. It wasn't until I saw Kylie talk about how much she loved them that I looked up the benefits of pomegranates and, well, here we are.

1. Pomegranates have been around for 8,000 years

Dating back to 6000 BC, pomegranates are believed to be the first cultivated fruit. The ancient produce was featured in Greek art and mythology, and Mesopotamians referred to the pomegranate tree as the sacred tree. In Japan, they were thought to repel evil spirits, and according to Islamic legend, each pomegranate contains an aril descended directly from paradise. Try this recipe for some pomegranate sangria to repel any evil in your life (like Mondays). 

2. Kings and queens conquered with them

It is said that after Queen Isabella conquered Granada in 1492, she stood with a pomegranate in her hand and declared "Just like the pomegranate, I will take over Andalusia seed by seed.” Queen Isabella wasn't the only one harnessing the power of the pomegranate, as King Henry IV, who brought prosperity and peace back to France, used the pomegranate as his heraldic badge. Possibly the secret behind the Queen of Snapchat's success? Create this easy pomegranate martini and you'll start feeling regal in no time. 

3. They're "the most medicinal fruit in the world" 

There is a reason that pomegranates were held in such high esteem in the past. Described as "the most medicinal fruit in the world," these small yet mighty fruits are packed with antioxidants, which in turn reduce inflammation and thickening of artery walls. Basically, they help your heart stay healthy. This pomegranate and pear delight will give you a hearty dose of fiber too. 

Pomegranates have also been found to help kick cancer's ass. While the studies are small and more research needs to be done, pomegranates have been shown to reduce blood supply to tumors, which then prevents cancer cells from getting nutrients. Scientists are also investigating the ability pomegranate juice has to stop the growth of prostate, lung, breast, and colon cancer. 

4. They hold the secret to younger-looking skin

Pomegranates contain something called ellagic acid, which is an antioxidant that stimulates collagen production. And no, collagen is not just what's in your extra voluminous mascara. It holds our whole body together, and the more collagen you have, the less wrinkles and sagging you have.

5.  They're versatile as hell

pomegranate, berry, cranberry, vegetable, pasture
Parisa Soraya

No, they can't dance with a sparkler. BUT, not only can you eat pomegranate seeds—aka nature's Skittles—but you can use other parts of the fruit, too. Use the rind and flowers from the pomegranate plant to reduce oral and throat inflammation, while the buds can treat bronchitis. Maybe you want to impress your crush with a hand written letter? Use some pomegranate leaves mixed with vinegar to create your own ink.

Pomegranates have also been used as a love charm, so forget Tinder and just carry a pomegranate with you wherever you go. A snack and a way to trick someone into liking you? What more could you ask for in a fruit?