Every March, Americans freak out over the return of a popular McDonald's seasonal item: the Shamrock Shake. The St. Patty's Day inspired treat is only available for a limited time, so die hard fans flock to the stores as soon as they return. While the bright green mint-flavored milkshake has it's following, just the idea of it is enough to turn some people's stomach.

Spending my whole summer slinging shakes at a homemade ice cream shop, I'm pretty picky about my frozen desserts. For me, the Shamrock Shake lacks the creamy consistency of a delicious shake and has a slight resemblance to toothpaste. If this seasonal trend doesn't sit well with you, head over to Cook Out and try one of these 5 shakes that beat out McDonald's:

1. Mint-Chocolate Chip

Nestle Chocolate Chips

m01229 on Flickr

If green and festive is what you are looking for, but the Shamrock Shake just doesn't cut it, look no further than Cook Out's mint-chocolate chip shake.

This milkshake is creamier and thicker than McDonald's version and both the flavor and color are far less artificial. Plus, this shake is loaded with chocolate chips that add the perfect crunch to balance the smooth mint flavor.

2. Oreo

Oreo

mihoda on Flickr

Of the 40 plus milkshakes on the Cook Out menu, this is a more simple one, but don't count it out: It's also one of the best.

You can't go wrong with the classic cookies and cream combo, especially when it's loaded with the just the right amount of Milk's Favorite Cookie swirled into a satisfying vanilla shake.

3. Peanut Butter Fudge

Mini Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecakes

Korona Lacasse on Flickr

As Reese's lovers know, chocolate and peanut butter is a classic combination that is good in almost any form.

Cook Out's peanut butter fudge shake isn't  too chocolaty and isn't overpowering with peanut butter either. This shake is thick and creamy and is extremely popular among all of my friends.

4. Banana Pudding

banana pudding

stu_spivack on Flickr

Alright bear with me now. This one might sound a little strange but you have to give it a chance. This milkshake is a delicious blend of sweet banana ice cream and pieces of Nilla Wafer cookies that create the perfect texture combination. 

5. Oreo Mint

Oreo

JeepersMedia on Flickr

Of the 40+ milkshakes on the Cook Out menu, this one has to be my favorite. The combination of unexpected cool mint, and the classic taste of Oreo cookies is like sipping on heaven. This shake is like the golden child of classic mint chocolate chip and Oreo. If you haven't tried this one yet, this is a must on your next Cook Out run.

Think outside of the box and step away from the trends. The Shamrock Shake may be all of the rage but these Cook Out shakes are definitely worth a shot. Plus, these are just five of my favorites from an expansive menu. Feeling adventurous? Try a pineapple, walnut, peach cobbler, or blueberry cheesecake shake this spring.