Big name brands like Starbucks and Disney have been making headlines with announcements to ban plastic straws. This has left many customers to wonder what kind of alternative straws will replace them. Twitter user @AlexHughesie suggested bringing back Froot Loops Cereal Straws, and the idea has since gone viral. 

However, this isn't the first time a plea has been made to bring back the cereal straws, which were discontinued in 2009. Hannah Wade, a die-hard Froot Loops fan, created an online petition last year that's racked up over 12,000 signatures in support of reviving the straws. 

"People around the world seem to be nostalgic for this delicious treat from our childhood. Bringing back Froot Loops Cereal Straws would bring joy to my generation and generations to come," says the Change.org page.

Between the petition and the cries of social media, Kellogg's decided to release two revamped versions of the OG edible straws for a limited time, starting August 7.

Now, here's the thing. The new straws - called the Froot Loops Cookie Straw and the Stacked Froot Loops Straw - will only be available at the Kellogg’s NYC Café for ONE week, according to Elite Daily. This means you'll have to wake up super early to hit The Big Apple if you want to get your hands on this breakfast treat. 

If you can't make it to the cafe in time, Kellogg's posted a DIY recipe on their website, so you can make them at home.

Even though it's a bummer that the straws aren't making a permanent comeback, it's still pretty exciting that die-hard fans made this happen in the first place. If you happen to be in NYC the week of August 7, do yourself a favor and go try some. And don't forget to save the DIY recipe, so you'll never be without cereal straws again.