Starbucks is going strawless, people! The coffee giant is pledging to ditch all plastic straws by 2020. The change will take place in all locations globally. Instead of the signature green sipper, they’ll be serving iced coffees and Passion Tango teas in the strawless lids they introduced with cold foam back in April. Starbs will also use straws made of alternative materials, like paper, for Frappuccinos (and at the request of those who just really need a straw).

Photo courtesy of Starbucks

It’s no secret that plastic straws are bad for the environment. They often end up in our oceans thanks to leaky landfills, open dumps and straight up litterbugs. According to a study published by Science in 2015,  4.8 million to 12.7 million metric tons of plastic were found washed offshore in 2010, and that number is expected to rise. 

Plastic is not biodegradable; it can take roughly 500 years to decompose. That means your plastic straw will live on far longer than you. And sadly, most plastic isn't recycled. So the best way to stop this ongoing pollution problem is to cut it at the source, and stop using plastic straws.

#SpoonTip: Start living a completely strawless life with your own reusable aluminum straws. You can get them in funky colors or plain silver if you consider yourself more of the classic type.

Last month, McDonald's agreed to put an end to their plastic straws and opt for ones made of paper in the UK and Ireland locations, starting in September. But Starbucks is the first major chain to get rid of plastic straws on a global scale. By making the switch, Starbucks will eliminate the use and trash of over 1 billion plastic straws. The first to see these changes will be Starbucks locations in Seattle and Vancouver this upcoming fall.

Photo courtesy of Starbucks

So, while you might enjoy sipping your iced coffee out of the signature bright green straw, is it really worth I️t? Short answer: no. Your coffee (and the new Salted Cream and Vanilla Bean drinks) are just as good without it. 

Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links, from which Spoon University may earn a commission. The presence of these links does not imply an endorsement of any product or service. Price and stock may change after publication date.