Trying to eat healthy can be difficult when temptations are everywhere. Each street corner is packed with places like Krispy Kreme and Chick-Fil-A. My Instagram explore page is filled with videos of over the top, delectable recipes that are certainly not low calorie. On the flip side, there are so many companies that strive to create delicious versions of food that are “healthier” than the original. This is what Smart Baking Company achieves when creating Smartcakes and Smartbuns.

Smart Baking Company prides themselves on creating smart and healthier food that is still fun and affordable. The founders believe that healthy and delicious go hand in hand, even with  foods that are typically calorie dense, like cake and buns.

All of their products are low calorie, gluten free, sugar free, keto friendly, non-gmo and diabetic friendly. Smart Baking Company sent me five flavors of Smartcakes and a package of sesame seed Smartbuns. Smartcakes are cupcake-like treats in the flavors of Chocolate, Raspberry Cream, Lemon, Orange Cream and Cinnamon. Smartbuns are similar to a typical hamburger bun and are also offered plain, without sesame seeds.

I will be rating eating Smartcake flavor and the Smartbuns

on a scale of 1-10, based on taste and texture.

Smartcakes

Each Smartcake is 38 calories with 5 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. They are relatively low fat and low carb, with 2.5 grams of fat and 9 grams of carbs per cake. For reference, all  Smartcakes come in packs of two and are about the size of a small muffin.

The first thing that struck me when trying the Smartcakes was how moist each cake was. I wasn’t expecting this since it was pre-packaged and shipped to me, but it tasted so fresh. Each cake had a crunchy sugar-coated top that contrasted well with the soft cake.

Chocolate: 8/10

The first flavor I tried was chocolate, for obvious reasons (I’m obsessed with anything chocolate). I was most excited for this flavor and it did not disappoint. The cake had a prominent chocolate flavor and was very moist. I loved eating it warmed up in the microwave and right out of the fridge. The cake was not heavy or dense. It left me full without feeling stuffed, like I normally would after eating chocolate cake.

Raspberry Cream: 6/10

I wouldn’t describe this flavor as raspberry, but it definitely had a fruity taste. It had a slightly bitter aftertaste but tasted better when I added toppings. I topped it off with whipped cream and strawberries to create a makeshift strawberry shortcake. After tasting this, I got excited to try some other combinations with the Smartcakes to see what creations I could make.

Lemon: 10/10

I am not usually a fan of lemon in desserts, but surprisingly this was my favorite flavor. Again, the texture was amazingly moist. The lemon flavor was so light and fresh. It did not taste artificial and was a refreshing bite of food. I didn’t add any toppings to this flavor, because it truly didn’t need anything else. It was already perfect on its own.

Orange Cream: 9/10

Like lemon, this flavor was so refreshing. It reminded me of eating a creamsicle popsicle. The orange flavor was not overpowering, but still had a nice burst of tanginess with each bite. This flavor was the perfect balance between tart and sweet. The best bite was when I tasted both the fluffy cake and the crunchy sugar layer on top.

Cinnamon: 5/10

Unfortunately, this flavor missed the mark for me. I'm not the biggest fan of cinnamon to begin with, but this cake had an odd flavor. It left a lingering taste of artificial sweetener in my mouth that I couldn't get past. However, like the rest of the cakes, the texture was moist and spongy even after being stored for weeks.

Smartbuns

Each Smartbun is 72 calories with 12 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein. The bun has only 16 grams of carbs and 3.5 grams of fat. Each bun is quite sizeable and larger than a typical hamburger bun you might buy from the grocery store.

Smartbuns: 8/10

When I first tried the Smartbun, I toasted it before digging in. This might have been a mistake because it was a little dry. The texture of the bun was fluffy and cake-like. It had a subtle sweetness that works very well with the savory foods paired it with. I’ve tried the bun with a number of foods ranging from turkey burgers to pulled chicken. The bun was large and kept me more full than a normal bun would for about half the calories.

The second time I ate a bun, I didn't toast it and it was a little less dry, but still lacked some moisture. The bun is lighter and airier than a typical bun, and because of this can come across as a little dry. The flavor of the bun was phenomenal, and I can’t wait to try it out with other foods.

Final Thoughts:

These low calories cakes and buns are definitely worth the hype. When I first saw their nutritional facts, I was blown away... then I tasted them. The cakes are so moist and flavorful. Smart Baking Company did a phenomenal job nailing each flavor of the cakes. The buns make a great addition to any lunch or dinner and kept me surprisingly full. I will definitely be eating Smartcakes and Smartbuns again.