Funny story: I was at the grocery store on an average Thursday night, picking up some essentials and perusing the aisles, when I saw something unexpected and exciting: limited edition Cheerio flavors. As a lover of breakfast food, I knew that these flavors could change the game forever, and that I needed to try them. 

I felt that I had no choice but to buy all three, try them with my friends, and share with the world whether they lived up to my (very high) expectations.

The Flavors

Molly Gallagher

These are the three limited-edition Cheerio flavors. Pumpkin Spice and Chocolate Peanut Butter have gotten the most attention, so I was surprised to see the Banana Nut option on the shelves. 

All of these are classic flavors and Cheerios is a beloved cereal brand, so I expected great things from all of these flavors. Like most other varieties of Cheerios, all three of these are gluten-free, which make them accessible to foodies everywhere. As someone with a super-sensitive stomach, I really appreciated this commitment to making gluten-free products. 

In order to get some additional input, I also had my friends taste test the flavors. Without further ado, here are the results.

Banana Nut: My Favorite

Molly Gallagher

These were a massive surprise. Banana-flavored things never get any love, and I was honestly a little doubtful of this flavor before I tried it. 

When my friends and I tasted these for the first time, we were blown away by how much they actually tasted like banana bread. They're strongly banana-flavored, but not in a gross, banana Laffy Taffy way. My friend Kelly fell in love immediately, and opted to forgo buying lunch and ate two bowls of this cereal instead.

Keep in mind though, that these aren't the best option for those who don't like the taste of bananas.

Molly Gallagher

Apparently, Banana-Nut Cheerios used to be a permanent fixture in the Cheerio lineup, but they were discontinued until now. If you used to eat these when you were younger, they could be the perfect throwback

Overall, if you like the taste of bananas or banana bread, you will probably be obsessed with these. They exceeded all of my expectations and are really well-executed.

Average rating: 4.44/5 

Chocolate Peanut Butter: Surprisingly Controversial

Molly Gallagher

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios seems like the most delicious combination possible. Chocolate and peanut butter are already a match made in heaven, and Reese's Puffs have proven that cereal is a perfect vessel for enjoying them. Needless to say, I had the highest expectation for this flavor. 

To my surprise, this was the most divisive of the three. Most people who tried them felt very strongly; either this flavor was their favorite, or they thought the cereal was utterly repulsive.

Molly Gallagher

The texture of these, because they were glazed, was different from regular Cheerios. They were softer and a little dusty, which made their aftertaste stronger than that of the others. People complained of a chemical flavor and a sickly aftertaste. They also found the flavor to be too strong and not at all what they were hoping for.

On the other hand, some people loved them. The peanut butter flavor was truly shined, and those who liked the taste enjoyed the lingering flavor. Some people even thought they tasted just like Reese's products.

Personally, I'd eat them if they were offered to me, but I don't think I could finish a full bowl because they are surprisingly rich and filling.

Average Rating: 3.6/5

Pumpkin Spice: Tasty, But Tame

Molly Gallagher

Tis' the season for pumpkin-spice-flavored-everything, so obviously Cheerios had to create their spin on the trend. As a loyal fan and defendant of pumpkin spice, I figured that this flavor would be outstanding. 

It's true, they do taste like pumpkin pie – the notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a hint of pumpkin puree definitely shine through. For some, they were underwhelming and not nearly pumpkin flavored enough, and for others they were perfectly pumpkin-spiced. 

Molly Gallagher

Most of my friends felt pretty neutral about these, though. These were some people's favorite, but mostly people said that they were good, but not extraordinary. This is because Cheerios didn't do anything crazy to the classic pumpkin spice flavor. Unlike Banana Nut or Peanut Butter Chocolate, the flavor of these wasn't novel or exciting.

The taste is pleasant, but not overpowering, and I could definitely see myself taking down a bowl (or two). Also, they'd make the milk pumpkin spice-flavored too, which would ~pretty much~ taste like a PSL. Call me basic, but I'm a fan of this flavor.

Average Rating: 3.33/5

Final Thoughts

Molly Gallagher

Overall, these limited edition Cheerio flavors lived up to my expectations. If you're looking to mix up your morning (or late-night) bowl of cereal, I'd definitely recommend giving one or more of these a try. People had very different opinions about each flavor, so be sure to either choose carefully or consider trying more than one.

Remember, all three of these flavors are limited edition, so if you want to try them, you have to act fast!