Its 11pm. You try to think of something, anything, to distract you from the sinful chocolate cake on your kitchen counter. To no avail, you find your body suddenly overcome with a deep need for sugar.  Temptation gives way and suddenly you’re elbow deep in frosting, shoving fistfuls of cake in your mouth (fork not required). But then, two glorious pieces later, the inevitable guilt sets in. All the hard work of avoiding sugar and extra calories is destroyed in a mere 25-seconds of blissful face-stuffing.

If the above scenario has ever happened to you, I suspect we would be great friends. If not, then you must have the willpower of a body builder or pageant queen (mad props).

Sugar cravings are dangerous, and can ultimately become your worst enemy. As someone who is haunted by a need for sugar, I’ve come up with healthy desserts and swaps to the highly caloric alternative.

1. Frozen Grapes

Healthy Desserts

Photo courtesy of theglowingfridge.com.

If your sweet tooth is telling you to raid your freezer for the pint of ice cream you “hid for emergencies,” take a step back and reach for a bowl of frozen grapes. While they (obviously) will never replace Ben or Jerry, the natural sweetness of the fruit is amplified in this solidified form. The burst of cold flavor will hit the spot without skyrocketing your blood sugar.

#SpoonTip: Try these Wine-Infused frozen grapes for a boozy snack.

2. Chocolate Covered Fruit

Healthy Desserts

Photo courtesy of eatingbender.com

“Well, duh,” you must be thinking. Although it’s an obvious solution, chocolate covered fruit never fails to be absolutely scrumptious. Dip, drizzle, or pour some melted dark chocolate over berries, bananas, apples, etc. Not only are chocolate covered strawberries and bananas fun to make, but they have the added benefit of being aphrodisiacs. So, ditch the cake and grab a more feel-good snack. Make frozen berries with a chocolaty kick, or basic dipped strawberries.

3. Berries and Whipped Cream

Healthy Desserts

Photo courtesy of forkknifeswoon.com

If I’m being honest, whipped cream is one of the happier things in life: it just makes everything better. When you’re feeling a bit down, just slice up some strawberries, dollop some whipped cream right on top, and you’re good to go. This quick dessert is easy, yet so much healthier than a giant chocolate chip cookie or two. Try this recipe for vegan coconut whipped cream for a tasty alternative.

4. “Nice Cream”

Healthy Desserts

Photo courtesy of verilymag.com

What is nice cream you ask? Answer: an unbelievably tasty substitute for highly caloric ice cream. Put simply, it is literally just blended frozen bananas, but it can be adapted into any flavor you want. Add a spoonful of peanut butter, chocolate chips, strawberries, peaches, or even Nutella to change it up. Follow these simple steps to make your favorite flavor.

5. Yogurt Banana Poppers

Healthy Desserts

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

Frozen bananas back at it again for the win with this super simple recipe. I love these bite-sized desserts because they’re refreshing for summer and super guilt-free. You won’t feel bad eating these late night because they can be justified as your daily serving of fruit. Switch up the flavor of yogurt or even try melted peanut butter for dipping for some variation.

6. Almond Joy Rice Krispies

Healthy Desserts

Photo by Christina Robinson

If you like being creative in the kitchen, these homemade Almond Joy bars are for you. A cross between a rice krispy and a candy bar, this dessert eliminates half the calories and won’t leave you feeling heavy post-consumption. Using dark chocolate and almonds always means it’s healthy… Right?