Although it seems like everyone is traveling to a sunny beach this spring break, there are still a few of us that need something to do while we stay at home. You might as well make the best of your break by taking a foodie day trip to a local city to explore and try out some places on your food bucket list.

Philadelphia

The City of Brotherly Love is also a city filled with delicious food. With plenty of places to grab a quick bite or a nice dinner with a cool atmosphere, Philly's vast food scene will have something for everyone. One of my favorite places to stop at is Reading Terminal Market. It's one of the oldest markets in America and houses an endless amount of vendors. Some of the must tries are Beiler's Donuts, MeltKraft and Termini Bros. Beiler's is a donut shop and deli run by the Dutch, who definitely know how to make a dang good pastry. Their flavors range from traditional chocolate glazed and apple fritters to s'mores and Fruity Pebbles. MeltKraft serves cheesy and irresistible grilled cheeses with flavors that will make anyone's mouth water. And the cherry on top is anything from Termini Bros. This Italian bakery has arguably the best cannolis. They fill them fresh right in front of you and will instantly satisfy your sweet tooth.

If you're looking for more of a sit-down meal and a few courses, one of my favorite restaurants in the city is The Continental Mid-Town. It's diverse menu offers plenty of options from a giant pile of shoestring fries to pad thai or barbecue chicken quesadillas. The decorations in the restaurant make it a fun dining experience and the rooftop bar is perfect for spring weather. 

New York City

New York has one of the largest ranges of enticing food, making it a one-of-a-kind foodie day trip. The city is known for its traditional bakeries and markets that have been around for decades. It also has a big rep for upscale and prestigious restaurants. One day in New York City never seems like enough, but these are the places to hit if you're low on time.

Before you head straight into Times Square, it's worth stopping in Astoria to grab the famous brunch at Queen's Comfort. This eclectic eatery has people lining up and down the block for their comfort food (just as the name suggests). Their atomic fire balls are a must-try, especially when paired with their Cap't Crunch crusted sandwich or Cornflake coated chicken and waffles. They also serve insane variations of eggs Benedict and homemade banana chocolate chip bread pudding. 

#SpoonTip: Make sure to have cash on you since this old school restaurant doesn't accept cards.

Another place to hit is actually a vegan food chain. By CHLOE serves plant-based meals that will leave you full and energized to keep shopping. The multiple locations around the city make it easy to stop in to grab a bite of their vegan pastas, burgers and desserts. The word "vegan" may scare some people off, but don't be fooled because there is no lack of flavor nor nutrition here. 

Then to end the day, dessert. Levain is a traditional bakery that is infamous for their mouth-watering cookies. The line can get long, but the wait is more than worth it. Their cookie selection is simply four different options including walnut chocolate chip, chocolate peanut butter, dark chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin. I can testify that these are the best cookies I've ever had and will not disappoint.

Even though you didn't get to show off the spring break bod you've been working so hard for (who are we kidding), any nearby city most likely offers countless options of unique food joints and tasty treats. A foodie day trip is always needed, so don't be sorry for yourself this spring break, just take a friend and enjoy a day of fun and food.