Trick-or-treating season is just around the corner. However, excitement is brewing in the Pilipinx community for another reason. Pilipinx American History Month, or PAHM, is a commemoration of culture and heritage throughout October. It’s more specifically a time to honor the legacy of Pilipinx and Pilipinx Americans in the United States. What better way to celebrate than to dig into some Pinoy delicacies? 

Sinigang

Appropriately named the world’s best vegetable soup by Taste Atlas, sinigang is an all-around favorite even beyond the Pilipinx community. The tangy tamarind broth is usually accompanied by okra, taro, and a protein. Talk about the ultimate comfort food. 

Adobo

This soy sauce-based dish is another well-known staple. Aside from its base ingredients—garlic, peppercorn, bay leaves, and vinegar—adobo has dozens of regional varieties in the Philippines.

#SpoonTip: Add coconut milk to your adobo for a sweeter, creamier twist on the classic. 

Sisig

Sisig is a popular Filipino dish that originated in my parents’ hometown, Pampanga. It consists of finely chopped pork belly that’s flavored with onions, chilis, and calamansi (Filipino lime) for a hearty, well-balanced meal. 

Crispy Pata

Another pork specialty is crispy pata, or pork knuckles. Deep-fried and dipped in a soy-vinegar sauce, this delicacy is the ideal blend between fatty and acidic. The meat’s crunchy exterior and juicy interior will have you hooked after just one bite.

Pancit

No Filipino celebration is complete without pancit. It’s usually served during birthdays and other special occasions because noodles represent longevity. The recipe itself is quite versatile and includes a wide range of stir-fried meats and vegetables.

#SpoonTip: Squeeze some calamansi or lemon juice on top of your pancit for an extra burst of flavor.

Maja Blanca

While this dessert is usually served during the holidays, PAHM is more than enough of a reason to celebrate. Maja blanca is a coconut milk pudding embedded with sweet corn kernels and topped with toasted coconut crumbs. In other words, texture galore.

Buko Pandan

If you love Jell-O, buko pandan is a must-try. Simply mix together young coconut meat, or buko, jelly cubes, palm fruit, tapioca pearls, and pandan-infused cream. The result? A sweet yet refreshing dessert you can enjoy any time of year.

Suman

Suman is a sticky rice cake made of glutinous rice and coconut milk. It’s relatively easy to make, but the fun lies in unwrapping the rice cakes from the banana leaves that they were steamed in. Top with sugar or toasted coconut sauce, and enjoy this chewy delicacy as a snack.

Filipino Ice Cream

Everyone loves ice cream, but I can guarantee you’ve never experienced it like this before. Avocado, guava, and jackfruit are only some of the countless flavors Filipinos know and love. But the most famous one is ube, or purple yam. Its mellow, nutty flavor is especially great for the fall time.

Halo Halo

Want to take ice cream to the next level? Then, halo-halo (literally “mix-mix” in Filipino) is the one dessert you need to try by the end of October. The minimum recipe is shaved ice, evaporated milk, and sugar. From there, you can customize your serving to your heart’s content. Add red beans, coconut jelly, flan, jackfruit, and a scoop of ube ice cream on top for a colorful medley of Filipino flavors.

Though Pilipinx American History Month ends on the 31st, it’s never too late to try something new. These Filipino dishes and desserts are just the tip of the iceberg, and our rich culture has so much more to offer beyond food. So feel free to sample these suggestions throughout October and beyond! Also, check out these local Bay Area restaurants for some innovative twists on Filipino favorites. Happy PAHM!