The leaves are beginning to change colors, the air feels crisp and cool, the smell of cinnamon-scented pine cones perfumes the stores, you feel giddy knowing the holiday season is near. Menus begin to feature fall drinks again, and autumn cheer fills the air. But in reality, we are all stuck at home due to the coronavirus.  Being at home, it is somehow easier to miss watching the seasons change than it is to wake up for that dreaded 8 a.m class. Home is usually seen as a place where we can wear our favorite comfy, oversized T-shirts, let our hair go unbrushed, and laugh 'til we cry watching New Girl for the second time. 

Spending our days at home, it is easy to lose track of time and forget about our responsibilities. Suddenly, we have to remind ourselves to do something as basic as going outside or actually going to sleep at a reasonable hour. To remind you that fall is finally here (yes, this time it is really happening) and that Daylight Savings is sadly coming to an end, here are some fall drinks that can be enjoyed either hot or iced that are guaranteed to make you want to burn your favorite autumn-spiced candles.

1. Chai Latte 

Remi Tateishi

If you are not a coffee fan, then chai is the perfect fall drink for you. This black tea has bold flavors of star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, and a hint of ginger. Topped with a pillowy layer of frothed milk to complement the chai, this drink will instantly melt any outdoor chills. Knowing that it is on every coffee house menu, tea lovers can find comfort in it. It is basically the gingerbread cookie’s long lost cousin. As if the chai latte could not get any better, all of the spices help soothe even the achiest of sore throats, better than any throat lozenge within a few days.

2. Apple Cider

Remi Tateishi

An autumn classic that is sweet, slightly tart, refreshing, and fruity, paired with the holy grail of spices including nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. Think boxed apple juice’s upperclassman self. Taking a sip of apple cider will have you recalling the good ol’ days of sipping Trader Joe’s juice boxes on the spiral slide at the playground as you enjoy charcuterie assorted trays on Memorial Glade. Apple cider is light, full of flavor, and treating yourself to this fall drink will make you feel like the main character in a Hallmark movie. 

3. Vanilla Latte with Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Remi Tateishi

Here is the drink all the coffee lovers have been waiting for. A vanilla latte is a popular favorite for a reason. It is sweet, creamy, and each sip feels like you are drinking a coffee vanilla bean cloud. But, it gets even better with flavors of freshly ground cinnamon and nutmeg complementing the traditional drink. The sweetness of the vanilla essence provides a blissful balance to the bitterness of the slow-roasted coffee beans, and the well-liked spice pairing is bound to make you feel like cozying up next to a crackling fire. If you love coffee ice cream, a vanilla latte is going to be your new best friend. There are so many different takes on this classic drink - you are bound to enjoy at least one of them. 

4. Horchata

Remi Tateishi

Though this is not a typical drink that comes to mind when thinking about spending time in a forest decorated with fall foliage, a horchata hits just the spot. This Mexican staple gains its silky, full-bodied flavor from rice-soaked water enhanced with milk for a bit of creaminess and is enriched with a cinnamon-vanilla blend. The earthiness from the cinnamon replicates the liberating sensation of inhaling refreshing pine air while spending time immersed in nature. One of the best perks about horchata is that this fall drink can be enjoyed with either a great slow-cooked chili or a dreamy pumpkin pie. 

5. Matcha with Honey and Cinnamon 

Remi Tateishi

While at home, I have recently discovered what the matcha craze is all about and, yes, matcha really is that good. It provides that much-needed caffeine boost like coffee does, but without the jitters, to increase one's ability to focus while working from home. Matcha is nutty and smooth, with a hint of sweetness, and each soothing sip cascades down one's throat to calm even the most excited holiday shoppers. The honey provides a natural sweetness, while the cinnamon is what keeps you coming back sip after sip and makes you want to splurge on your very own matcha whisk. Matcha and Turkey Trots have never been a better duo. 

The next time you are watching your favorite Netflix show or in class feeling like you need a little pick-me-up, drive to your local coffee shop or pick up your favorite ingredients at the market to make these little cups of happiness right at home. With these fall drinks, you will feel happier, more productive, and inspired to carve pumpkins and bring out your favorite fall sweaters.