Being Italian, I am no stranger to pasta. I love pasta in literally any form, but I know that it has a pretty high refined-carb content. This winter break, a family friend introduced me to edamame pasta, and I instantly fell in love. 

legume, vegetable, pea, edamame, salad
Elyse Belarge

The Protein

Edamame pasta is great because it packs a huge amount of protein (25g per serving). The reason? It has one ingredient – edamame. Don't ask me how they get edamame to taste exactly like regular spaghetti, but they do. And it is heavenly.

lettuce, pepper, macaroni, cheese, basil, spaghetti, salad, vegetable, tomato, pasta
Judy Holtz

The Possibilities

Because the edamame spaghetti tastes just like pasta, you can substitute it into any pasta recipe. My personal favorites? This pesto pasta recipe, this creamy red pepper spaghetti, and this mac and cheese if you really want to indulge. You can also sauté up some fresh, seasonal veggies and toss them with the pasta and a little bit of olive oil for a fresh, healthy dinner that has a great balance of carbs and protein. 

zucchini, cucumber, courgette
Jasmine Tang

Edamame pasta is different from other types of noodle substitutes because it has so much protein. Veggie noodles, such as zucchini noodles and sweet potato noodles, are great low-carb options. If you're someone who works out a lot or just wants protein in your diet, edamame noodles are a great pasta substitute because they're low-carb and high protein.

The Takeaway

These noodles are incredibly filling, so definitely make a smaller portion than you would with typical pasta. I made the mistake of making a full bowl, and I only could get through a quarter of it before getting full. 

chips, apple, date, crunch, spam
Photo courtesy of Costco

Oh, and the best part? You can get a box of it for just $5 at Costco. You literally couldn't dream up a food that's more protein packed, filling, versatile, and cheap. It meets the needs of every single college student, and I urge you to give it a try ASAP.