You can find everything from late night eats, to epic brunches, to frozen treats in Durham, which boasts some seriously good restaurants. The sandwich – one of the simplest but most satisfying meals – is not left out of Durham's food scene. Read on for some must-try sandwiches in Bull City.

1. Pork Carnitas Patacon Pisao from Luna's Rotisserie and Empanadas

Ok, so it doesn't sound like your typical sub, but this traditional Venezuelan plantain sandwich is incredible. Stuffed with your meat of choice, jack cheese, jicama kale slaw and chili-lime mayo, it's the perfect gluten-free sandwich.

2. Fried Chicken Sandwich from Picnic

More along the lines of your traditional southern fare, Picnic is a trendy barbecue spot. They have pulled pork and fried chicken with a slew typical southern sides (think: hushpuppies, baked beans and pimento mac-n-cheese). The fried chicken sandwich, while a complete mess to consume, will satisfy anyone hankering for a bite of the south.

3. Green Eggs on Toast from Monuts

An O.G. Monuts creation, this sandwich will balance out your one (or three) donuts with some greens. It's got a lot of great stuff going on - egg, avocado, red onion, queso fresco, jalapeños and cilantro-lime sauce sandwiched between a toasted everything bagel.

4. 7-Pepper Jelly Grilled Cheese from Foster's

Swiss, cheddar, pepper jelly and tomato are sandwiched between sourdough bread to make one of the most delicious sandwiches in Durham. At only $4, you'll have saved money (if not room) for dessert.

5. Over Easy Burger from Bull City Burger and Brewery

While the burger patties are well-portioned at BCBB, the toppings are often overboard (in the best way). Enjoy this perfectly greasy, filling breakfast-style burger with freshly brewed beer and duck frites.

6. Quilted Buttercup from Dame's Chicken and Waffles

This sandwich will have you believing all bread should be swapped for sweet potato waffles, and all mayo for maple-pecan shmear. Be sure to make a reservation, though, as Dame's always packed.

7. Reuben from Geer Street Garden

Geer Street, located a little off the beaten path in downtown Durham, has a cozy patio-slash-bar vibe. It's almost always busy. Their reuben sandwich with a heaping side of fries is sure to fill you up. 

8. Grilled Portabello from Guglhupf 

Guglhupf is known for their pastries, but their regular food is phenomenal as well. This veggie-packed, vegan sandwich is a healthier but tasty lunch option.

9. Panini from Toast

Literally everything is amazing at Toast. While my personal favorite is the grilled chicken, roasted peppers, mozzarella and salsa verde panini, you cannot go wrong with any of their toasted sandwiches. Pair one with a side salad or their daily soup special.

10. Roast Turkey Sandwich from Lucky's Delicatessen

As the first real deli in downtown Durham, Lucky's does not disappoint. Go for a classic deli meat and try the roast turkey sandwich.

11. Grilled Cheese from Divinity School Café

This spot is right on campus, so you have no excuse not to check out their grilled cheese. Plus, the friendly folks at Div School Café will make a vegan version at your request.

Go forth and enjoy Durham's epic sandwich scene.