We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. What better way to start your morning than with Chick-fil-A?

In the name of health, we ordered two breakfast sandwiches from the popular chicken chain to compare nutrition, taste, and overall satisfaction.

Breakfast should be packed with protein and fiber to give you sustained energy throughout the day. Research has shown that skipping breakfast is linked to health problems such as high blood pressure, memory loss, and obesity. 

Chicken obviously has a lot of protein, but eating it for breakfast is a bit out of the ordinary — unless, of course, it’s chicken and waffles. 

We’ll start with the Chick-fil- A Chicken Biscuit

chicken, sandwich
Marina Nazario

Right off the bat, this baby looks beautiful. It contains 440 calories, 16 grams of protein, and 1210 mg of sodium. Not ideal, but we can't all be perfect.

The warm, flakey biscuit crumbles in your hand, leaving a mouth-watering mess of greasy goodness. The thick, fried piece of chicken is perfectly crispy on the outside, yet tender and flavorful on the inside. We added Chick-fil-A secret sauce to it, making it an even more delectable and indulgent breakfast item.

bacon, sandwich, cheese
Marina Nazario

At first, I thought it might be strange eating fried chicken at 9:00 am, but I didn’t give it a second thought after biting into this breakfast treat.

Although I would love to have this for every meal, it’s not ideal in terms of starting the morning off right. It’s heavy and greasy, and puts you in an automatic food coma after eating it —making it the ideal hangover food. For $3.09, I’ll take it.

On the healthier side is Chick-fil-A’s Egg White Grill

cheese, bacon
Marina Nazario

It looks as unappealing as it sounds. It’s made up of a multigrain English muffin, a square-shaped slab of egg whites, one very thin layer of cheese, and one piece of grilled chicken. The menu claims that this sandwich has a “hint of citrus” flavor, but all I taste is 970 mg of sodium, aka salt.

It’s very dry and unappetizing, yet in terms of nutrition, this breakfast sandwich wins because it consists of 300 calories and 25 grams of protein.

egg, bacon, sandwich, cheese, fried egg
Marina Nazario

On the outside, this is the ideal for breakfast sandwich. It checks off all of the morning must-haves, including high-protein, high-fiber, and healthy carbohydrates. But in reality, eating this is very unsatisfying. The amount of sodium in it is alarming, and frankly, I don’t think it’s as healthy as it appears.

egg, bacon, cheese, fried egg, cheddar, sandwich
Marina Nazario

Eating grilled chicken in the morning is actually strange. For $4.65, it’s dry, tasteless, and doesn’t satisfy any of my morning cravings. I can accept eating fried chicken in the morning, but grilled chicken is bland and unappealing (regardless of nutrition).

I like that Chick-fil-A has options. Not only does it have fried and grilled chicken for breakfast, it also has breakfast burritos, bacon, egg, & cheese, yogurt parfait, and breakfast platters. It just needs to add waffles or pancakes to have an all-around perfect breakfast menu.

In terms of nutrition, the best thing you can do is make a breakfast sandwich yourself. Depending on what you add to it, it will have less sodium than what you’ll find at any fast food place.