There may come a time when your muffin top, bad skin, and low energy from your empty calorie foods are too much to handle. You might be realizing that it's time to cut some calories. Knowing where to start and how to do this can be hard. These little tricks to cut calories are easy to incorporate into your everyday life and will make losing weight easier and more enjoyable.

But before you even read these, just know that each person is different and beautiful in their own way, own mind, and own body, and that cutting calories doesn't equate to eating healthily . 

1. Drink water before each meal

lemon, water, lemonade
Caroline Liu

One of the easiest and simplest ways to avoid consuming extra calories during your meal is by drinking a glass of water prior to eating. The water will help fill you up and will make you feel less hungry. You should try to get 11 cups of fluids in per day (yes, that includes coffee). It helps to try and pair at least one glass of water with each of your three big meals.

2. Keep an 80/20 mindset

bread, hummus, vegetable
Christin Urso

It may be hard to consider eating healthy a fad diet, but the 80/20 diet is a little bit of both. Basically you commit to eating healthy 80% of the time, while the other 20% is spent being able to splurge and "cheat." Many nutritionists believe in this theory and the idea that it is impossible to eat "clean" 100% of your time. Find peace in getting extra cheese or butter on your meal, then get back to work the next day.

3. Incorporate colors on your plate

pepper, vegetable, tomato, salad, rice
Megan Prendergast

I'm talking eating the rainbow. But with fruits, vegetables, and grains, not Skittles. Just by increasing your intake of these and decreasing unhealthy fats, sugars, and carbs you'll be cutting calories before you know it.

Filling your plates with the colors found in these categories will provide nutrient-rich calories, rather then empty and unfulfilling ones. Each color you put into your mouth provides a different nutrient and helps you to avoid bad calorie-dense foods. 

4. Believe in the power of snacking

sweet, candy, chocolate, cake, pastry, granola, cookie
Alex Tom

One common misconception when it comes to losing weight is that many calories come from snacking. While this is somewhat true, it is also false. Snacking can cause weight gain if your snacks are chips and candy. If you choose snacks that are healthy and filling, then the calories will be irrelevant.

It is important if you choose packaged snacks to not only look at the calories, but also at other things such as fats, sugar, and sodium. 

5. Skip the junk food

watermelon, juice, sweet, melon
Kathleen Lee

While this might be obvious to some, others don't believe it to be true. Skipping junk food can be the ultimate choice. Choosing to eat healthy foods is important, but it is just as important to have appropriate portions, even if it is for healthy food.

By cutting out packaged, fatty, sugary items you'll be slashing away calories going into your body. Take it a step at a time and let your favorites (brownies for me) be something you allow in moderation. 

6. Incorporate healthy substitutes

bacon, cheese
Sarah Schuette

This is my favorite way to cut calories, and honestly one of the most fun. Instead of unhealthy saturated fats, try coconut butter. Want some brownies? Use avocados for some healthy fats. It's fun to find new ways to take out unnecessary foods and include ones that are good. Try making things vegan or gluten-free for a real health kick.

The most important part is making sure that the substitutes are healthier and just as tasty as the original choice. 

7. Remember to enjoy yourself

candy, sprinkles, chocolate, sweet, cake, doughnut, sweetmeat
Ashley Peek

Most importantly, cutting calories doesn't mean anything if you are not truly happy. Restricting foods, cutting foods out, or just neglecting your mental health will not help in any way. It is important to find a healthy balance, and enjoy yourself. If your favorite food happens to be an ice cream sandwich or doughnuts, just enjoy it in moderation.

Cutting calories doesn't have to be painful, it is all about moderation and happiness. Dieting is not always the answer, or an option, so knowing your body is very important. Skip the packaged junk and pick whole foods that fuel your body. Before you know it cutting calories will be as easy as 1, 2, 3.