This article is a part of the Spoon series The Deal With Diet Culture, covering health topics and products through the lens of food. 

If you haven’t heard of Bloom, you’re probably not on TikTok. The little white and green plastic container of “daily greens” powder has taken over the social media site, making appearances on the accounts of big creators like Alix Earle, Becca Moore, and Emily Mariko. The hashtag ”bloom” has over 1.5 billion views, and the hashtag ”bloomgreens” has almost 40 million. Most videos featuring the product go like this: An influencer takes out a glass, scoops the green powder into it, adds water, mixes the liquid, and drinks while talking to their viewers like they are on FaceTime. Sometimes they share the product's many benefits. Othertimes, they don't mention the product but share a shopping experience, how their dating life or going, or some other story time. Many of these videos are marked with the hashtag “bloompartner” or “ad.”

What are Bloom greens?

Bloom greens and superfood is a powder that can be mixed into any liquid or smoothie to experience its many advertised benefits. The website makes claims that the product will “balance gut health, boost energy, and soothe uncomfortable bloat.” While other similar products, like Athletic Greens, have gained popularity, none have received the same internet traction as Blooms, particularly on TikTok. 

Influencers rave about Bloom’s ability to de-bloat and aid in weight loss. On Instagram and TikTok, there’s a plethora of reviews, storytimes, and promotions by small and large creators featuring Blooms. 

One TikTok by influencer Minnie List goes more into detail. With almost 33,000 likes, the video shows a before and after of her stomach debloating after drinking the product. While the creator states in the video that it is an honest and realistic review, she uses the hashtag “bloompartner.” 

Another Tiktok video with 54,000 likes features content creator Becca Moore telling a story of a bad date as she mixes her Blooms. The caption states, “storytime of the time my date who I am pretty sure forgot I was there the entire time hahaha @bloomnu #bloompartner #storytime.” Other than the visual of seeing the product, the video has nothing to do with the green powder. She doesn’t even mention Bloom.

Bloom undoubtedly has a strong internet presence, but many of their positive videos are partnerships with the company. But do dietitians and everyday users think Bloom greens live up to the hype? 

Do Bloom greens live up to their claims?  

Each serving of Bloom greens and superfoods has 1.6 grams of fiber or about the same as two tablespoons of black beans. But Julie Balsamo, a registered dietician specializing in gut, hormone, and metabolic health, is more concerned regarding the kind of fiber used in Blooms, which includes fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) and chicory root. 

“We know fiber is key to a healthy gut microbiome, however, both of [those] are high FODMAP foods and common triggers for those with irritable bowel syndrome,” she said, referring to a group of carbohydrates have the potential to exacerbate IBS symptoms and digestive stress. Additionally, the amount of FOS and chicory root is unknown.

The brand Bloom is also lacking third party testing, Balsamo said. Currently, the supplement industry is unregulated by the United States Federal Drug Administration (FDA). “Without third party testing, there’s no guarantee as to what you’re actually getting," she said.

Bloom has no reference to any testing on their website that Spoon could find.

What do college students think of Bloom greens?

After months of seeing Bloom on TikTok, Eleanor Rentz, a sophomore at Wake Forest University, caved and purchased this product in hopes it would improve her gut health. 

“When it arrived, I was surprised to find that it tasted refreshing and sweet,” she said. “Though I am not completely convinced that it works miracles , I enjoy drinking an afternoon beverage and am happy to lean on one without a ton of added sugar or artificial flavors.”

Other consumers who have reviewed Bloom on TikTok without any sign of partnership have had similar comments to Rentz. 

A woman named Holly, who goes by @hooggie_bear_ on TikTok, stated that she didn't think the drink was worth the money. “I don’t like it, but for a green juice it could be way worse,” she said without mentioning if the product made her feel a difference in her energy levels, bloating, or digestion.

However, some unsponsored reviews have positive comments on Bloom’s effectiveness and believe the product is worth the money. Content creator Jourdan Moriah called the coconut flavor “really good” and “worth it” and wrote in the captions that Bloom greens made her feel a difference in her energy and bloating in just a few days.

Could Bloom promotions be undisclosed ads? 

While some Bloom customers like Rentz are not bothered by the product’s failure to live up to the influencer's claims, others are upset. Some are even accusing content creators of not disclosing when Bloom is in their videos as a paid promotion.

“It's giving Bang Energy 2.0, like why are none of their ads disclosed?,” said Sophie Brown in a TikTok video. “Just kidding! I know why. And I bet she does too! Bloom is co-founded by an influencer. She knows what she's doing.”

“People are less likely to buy something if they think it's an ad, so she’s manipulating you into buying something… which is illegal, allegedly,” she continued.

Another Tiktok by Steph Grass, a registered dietician, pokes fun at Bloom’s marketing strategy.

At the end of the video she implies that she was asked to promote Bloom greens, but when she asked for “research that supports their claims,'' she was emailed a list of customer testimonies.

Whether these accusations are true or not remains unknown, and Blooms has not acknowledged or responded to them. 

Should I buy Bloom?

Just like most health foods and brands, Bloom is likely not a miracle product that will solve all your health needs. In addition, the $40 price tag makes the product a hefty investment. If you have more questions about if you should try it, consult a doctor.