The term "gut health" has been booming in all media these days. The current and constant trend of Instagram posts and captions that have been flooding my feed claim the potential to "fuel your gut, and boost your mood" by eating certain foods. But what does the term gut health really mean?

The gut refers to our microbiome, which is located in your lower stomach area. Many people say that it is the uncomfortable feeling you get after consuming an overfilling meal or certain food. But the microbiome goes deeper than that; Recent studies have demonstrated links between gut health and the immune system, mood, mental health, autoimmune diseases, endocrine disorders, skin conditions, and cancer. So, the gut, also known as the enteric system, does way more than we could have possibly imagined.

Still, what is the gut microbiome?

In simplest terms, our gut creates microorganisms living in your intestines. A person has about 300 to 500 different types of bacteria in their digestive tract. While some bacteria are harmful to our health, many are incredibly beneficial and even necessary to a healthy body.  

With that being said, the "beneficial bacteria" that you can get for your body are found in prebiotics and probiotics, which can be found in supplemental or food form. Uplift food, a brand I recently discovered, offers a load of prebiotics combined into one powder that will "fuel" your gut. It also offers a wide variety of products that are convenient for days when you've got long hours of studying, or just simply don't have the time to incorporate essential nutrients into your daily diet. Their products contain minimally processed, wholesome, NON-GMO quality ingredients that are beneficial for your health. Below is a recipe to get creative with their Daily Uplifter powder. 

If you'd like to purchase the powder, you can use this link. or use code "THINKOUTSIDE" at checkout. 

Prebiotic Fiber Blueberry Muffins

3 eggs

4-6 tablespoons melted coconut oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons flaxseed meal

1/2 cup coconut sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon Uplift Food Daily Uplifter

1 cup oat flour OR 2 cups almond flour

1 1/2 cup blueberries

Instructions

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon juice, baking soda, flax meal, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and Daily Uplifter and mix until well combined.

Add in the oat flour and combine. Then, add in one cup of blueberries, and leave the remaining for topping.

In a well greased muffin tray, pour the batter neatly into each muffin molder, making sure to leave room for it to rise. Place blueberries on top.

Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

Serve muffins warm or at room temperature