I've been a vegetarian for seven years and counting simply because I don't like the way meat makes my stomach feel. In the long run, when I hear rumors about E .coli in Chipotle meat and see articles headlined, "McDonald's Exposed for Using Human Meat" I don't regret my decision to be vegetarian. In fact, I literally let out a sigh of relief. 

There are creepy mystery meat stories popping up left and right because the food industry has turned to CAFOs and factory-produced foods and steered clear of sustainable, locally-raised meats. I get that you all want to wake up to bacon sizzling on the griddle and end your night with a fat steak, but is that really what your body needs? Not so much.

As a matter of fact, I'll give you a laundry list of reasons why being vegetarian has made me less stressed and more healthy on a daily basis. 

1. I don't touch the mystery meat

salami, sausage, steak, beef, meat, ham, bacon, pork
Hannah Linn

I'll take a hard pass on even taking the chance of consuming mystery meat — it is in our cafeterias, Chinese food, and fast food restaurants. While you're sitting over the toilet from food poisoning, I'll be doing whatever my heart desires full on energy from fresh fruits and veggies. 

2. I reduce the risk of the no. 1 killer 

chicken, yolk, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
Carly Zaladonis

Heart disease, the number one cause of death worldwide, is much less of a worry to someone eating a plant-based diet. A meat consumer naturally has much higher cholesterol and saturated fat levels. Vegetarians have 24% lower risk of dying from heart disease than any meat eater. I'll take it! 

3. I don't constantly think about weight 

On reflex, I reach for nuts, yogurt and bananas as a pick-me-up, so you know I won't be eating the leftover ribs or steak in the fridge from last nights dinner as a "snack." I find myself stepping on the scale once a year—when I'm required to at the doctors. Besides my doc telling me that everything is in check yearly, I don't feel like I need to worry about tracking my weight.

4. I'll live longer (hell yeah)

onion, garlic, vegetable, pasture
Adnan Amin

I'll take what I can get. An Oxford study found that vegetarians out-live meat eaters by six whole years! Because vegetarians have to get more than their fill of veggies, they have more fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals than anyone else. All these strengthen the immune system and slow down aging, believe it or not.

5. I avoid toxins 

Animals are constantly shot up with hormones so that they get fat and juicy to eat in a short period of time. But, because of this unnatural process, they also get antibiotic shots very often. Think about it — all the hormones, antibiotics and pesticides used to raise animals don't magically disappear when you consume them. 

6. My skin isn't prone to breakouts 

pepper, carrot, tomato, vegetable
Christin Urso

Stress causes breakouts and my veggie lifestyle reduces so many stresses. Vegetables also have so many key nutrients in keeping your skin glowing. They are rich in antioxidants that help minimize fine lines, brown spots and other signs of aging. 

Being vegetarian sounds much more manageable than having to stress about all these things daily, so I will continue with my veggie diet happily everyday so that I don't need to run to the restroom after eating some questionable AF meat from the local Chinese joint. Jump on the band wagon — you won't regret it!