It’s the last month of summer, but that doesn’t mean you have to be sad. There is so much to celebrate this month, the party is just getting started! All of the foods we celebrate this month are great, and it’s important that they’re each recognized for how good they truly are. The 10 August food holidays bring a mix of sweet and savory, dinner and dessert, and even some snacks! Check ‘em out😋😋.

August 5- National Waffle Day

waffle, toast
Caroline LeGates

If there’s any day to eat breakfast for dinner, it’s today. Waffles are sweet and cinnamon-y and melt in your mouth when covered in butter and syrup. If you’re not into keeping it simple, I love the combo of waffles and ice cream. The warm waffle and the cold ice cream is a perfect medley in your mouth. The tricky thing about today, though, it can be interpreted in so many different ways. You want a Belgian waffle? Sure! A waffle cone? Go for it! Waffle fries? Now that’s a stroke of genius.

August 10- National S’mores Day

chocolate, peanut butter, peanut, butter, cookie, sandwich
Lynden Orr

Obviously this day would fall in one of 3 summer months, but I have to say I’m a little surprised it’s so late in the year. Of course, I’ve enjoyed s’mores all summer long and today is no exception. The best way to enjoy a nice gooey s’more is to make it a party! Invite some friends to a bonfire and make a night of it. There’s no way they can say no to something so sweet and delicious– they’ll practically beg for s’more!

August 11- National Panini Day

In my opinion, a panini is the ultimate sandwich. You can make them out of almost any regular sandwich, and smushing it just makes all the flavors come together even more. My favorite part, besides a TON of melted cheese, is the crunch of the bread from the press marks. The outside is crunchy and the inside is still nice and soft– the way any bread should be.

August 13- National Filet Mignon Day

on

Today might be one of the more upscale holidays to celebrate because steak is not cheap. I’m not a fan of steak, don’t @ me, I know it’s wack. However, if I were going to eat a steak (medium well) I would eat a filet. But it has to be drowninggggg in sauce, which might defeat the purpose. However you celebrate today, I think I’m gonna sit this one out.

August 14- National Creamsicle Day

We all are familiar with the orange and vanilla combo that is the Creamsicle. It’s sweet and tart at the same time and can be enjoyed in many different ways. Typically, especially if you’re a New Jerseyian, people enjoy the boardwalk soft serve ice cream in their original flavor. That’s right, I’m talking about none other than Khor’s. For those of you who don’t know what this is, the only way I can describe it is by telling you to take a trip to the Jersey shore and try it for yourself.

August 19- National Hot & Spicy Food Day

hot sauce, ketchup, condiment, sauce, pepper, chili
Stephanie DeVaux

Not going to lie, I don’t really get this day. Are we just supposed to celebrate EVERYTHING hot and spicy in the world? Apparently so, which means that you better start early! A lot of times people say that you either love or hate spicy and that’s it. I might be the first to say that I just plain like it. I’m not crazy about it, but I also am not opposed to it. Don’t be too shocked though guys, this is coming from the girl who just said she didn’t like steak.

August 20- National Bacon Lovers’ Day

Now this is a holiday I can get behind. To everyone out there who celebrates today: I love and appreciate you. There is so much you can do with bacon that just goes unrecognized. It’s more than a breakfast side dish people! I mean, of course, that is my favorite way to eat it. But I love it in mac n cheese, omelets, fries, and wrapped around just about anything! BRB, gotta go celebrate allllll day long.

August 21- National Sweet Tea Day

ice, cocktail, liquor, juice, tea, alcohol
Kristine Mahan

If there is any holiday that should be celebrated in the South, today is the day. But it shouldn’t be limited to Southern areas. I mean, we ALL have Chick fil A, and if you’ve never had their sweet tea, you’re doing something wrong! I will say, you have to have a pretty big sweet tooth to enjoy a big glass, but if you do, it’s the best thing you’ve ever tasted– especially on a hot summer day.

August 27- National Burger Day

bun, bacon, cheese, beef
Krizza Santucci

Last month we celebrated national hot dog day, so it’s only fitting that the classic BBQ counterpart gets a day too. The best way to celebrate today is with, shocker, a barbecue. Grilling burgers (and dogs too) is just so fitting as summer starts to wind down. If you can’t quite get the grill going, make sure to stop by your local fast food joint for a good juicy patty.

August 31- National Trail Mix Day

nut, almond, cranberry, raisin
Tiare Brown

Alright, now before you all come for me, let me just say this: YOU CAN PUT CHOCOLATE IN TRAIL MIX. So yes, trail mix deserves to be celebrated because you can make it out of literally anything you want. Typically, it has some kind of nut (maybe even two or three), some kind of dried fruit, and some kind of sweet treat. My favorite combo is cashews, pistachios, craisins, and white and dark chocolate chips. If you’re not so into that, check out these recipes for easy homemade trail mix!