We’re nearing the end of March and that means spring is right around the corner. With the weather getting warmer, the sun shining a little stronger, and the rain showering down harder, the produce being sold at farmers markets are spring specials. While summer and fall markets seem to be the favored markets, spring has its very own special produce that is in peak season right now, and you won’t want to miss out on them! From different herbs to specific fruits and vegetables, there are a lot of different items that you should keep an eye on at spring farmers markets to ensure that you’re purchasing the best of the best. There’s no better place to find fresh spring produce and support local businesses than a farmers market in the springtime. 

If you need a guide on what produce to get your hands on, what markets to go to, and how to make the most of any given spring market, this guide is for you. 

What produce to look out for in a spring farmers market 

While spring farmers markets aren’t going to provide you with those juicy peaches and plums like summer markets do, they will allow you to broaden your horizons and try some new fruits and veggies that are in peak season right now. 

Spring produce depends heavily on the region you’re in and the climate there. During this time of the year, most areas in the U.S. tend to have more sunshine with some occasional rain, and the temperatures are rising as well. With that in mind, produce, like asparagus and kale, is able to grow in these fresh conditions and thrive in the warmer climates.

Spring is all about the greens – from cabbage to carrots to brussels sprouts, and just about everything in between, most greens are an honorable mention at farmers markets this time of year. Vegetables like collard greens, celery, cauliflower, and green beans also are a big part of the spring markets. So, keep an eye out for your greens, this is the best time to get them. Most vegetables during this time of the year are thriving and are great produce to purchase at these spring markets. 

Greens this time of year are typically in their freshest and youngest state – and the greener, the better. At a spring farmers market, you’ll still see produce that might not be in their peak, like strawberries, and although they aren’t in season right now, they’re still freshly picked and probably better than the ones you’ll find at the supermarket.

Why you should attend a spring farmers market

Purchasing from local businesses is one of the greatest ways to show support for your community, and there’s no better feeling than having fresh produce anyway.

Most vendors at farmers markets spend countless hours growing and tending to their spring produce to make up for the winter months.

As a farmers market goer, spring markets typically aren’t as popular as summer or fall markets. From my own chats with vendors while shopping for produce, they hope their community will show support during spring so that they can keep doing what they love. Without the spring shoppers, it can be hard for vendors to keep their business strong, so this is another reason to support the local farmers in your community and help their small business thrive.

This is also a perfect time to freshen up your ingredients, try some new recipes, and give support to local farmers and help advocate for their business. Spread kindness this spring and instead of going to the grocery store, make a fun plan, and head to a spring farmers market.

How to find spring farmers markets 

Finding a spring farmers market is really simple, they’re usually ones happening closer to you than you think.

With a simple Google search, it’s very easy to find markets near you and details are posted online often. If you just look up “spring farmers markets near me” a lot of different lists will pop up! Most sites provide the location, dates, times, and any other relevant information needed. It’s easy to find and if you start the search now, you can plan in advance, as many spring markets don’t begin until April and/or May. Here’s a list of 12 great spring farmers markets around the world taking place this spring to add to your list. 

No one market is really better than another, so my advice is to choose one that’s nearby and looks like it has lots of different vendors. Also, lots of supermarkets will have flyers and posters with information about spring markets, as they often sell some of the vendors’ produce in their store.

Start planning now so that you have no excuses come April!

How to prepare for a spring farmers market 

This is such an easy and fun activity that requires little to no preparation. I would advise you to bring a reusable tote bag of some sort for sustainability — it’s the best way to carry all of your fruits and vegetables. Aside from bringing a reusable bag or two, remember to have cash handy as most vendors are cash only. 

What to do after going to a spring farmers market

It’s important to wash your fruits and vegetables really well once you’re home so that they are clean and ready to eat. There are so many recipes online to make the most of your fresh produce, so get cooking as soon as you can. Most of this produce will stay fresh for about a week, after that, they will start to become over ripe, and not be at their peak anymore. Check out our recipes for new ways to eat your fresh Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and celery.