Roughly 70% of college students are working in college to pay the bills. You, my fellow trooper, are not alone in your exhaustion. If you fantasize about faking your death before clocking in, or consider living in a cardboard box to avoid rent, this list is for you. Wherever you're puttin' in work, these nine tips will help you stay alive and survive juggling both your classes and your job.

1. Make a Daily Study Schedule

If your work schedule has commitment issues, AKA you're like Batman that gets calls at all hours to come in and save the day, don't bother with a weekly schedule. Add daily events into a Google spreadsheet, make a to-do list in your phone, or use a mobile calendar with event reminders. Commit to spending no more than 5 minutes planning your day. 

2. Study Outside of Home 

Unless you have amazing self-discipline, the sensual siren call of your bed sheets at 2:00 AM is usually more powerful than your will to study. Find a 24-hour coffee shop, pay the $2.95 coffee fee, and stay there until your eyes feel like coals thrust into a fire. The baristas usually kick people out if they see anyone asleep, so it's like having free study motivation. 

3. Outfit/Meal Prep Every Night 

Spend 10 minutes every night packing a quick lunch and laying out an outfit before passing out. Try packing yogurt and granola or chopped fruit for breakfast. For a speedy lunch, shred some cooked meat, add white or brown rice, and throw spinach leaves in a container with a tablespoon of butter on top. The butter will melt when you reheat it in the microwave, wilting the spinach and adding flavor to the rice. You'll save yourself from a rumbling tummy and 20 minutes of "I have nothing to wear" panic in the morning. 

4. Fall Asleep to a Lecture 

Lay off the Drake playlist for a bit and try falling asleep at night while listening to a lecture. If it's math/science based, use MIT OpenCourseWare. If it's for a liberal arts class, make a YouTube playlist based off of class material (such as an audio recording of that book you're supposed to read or videos on Spanish grammar). Research on the effectiveness of this method can be found here.

5. Don't Sleep With Your Phone 

I'm the kind of person that has 15 alarms set within 5 minutes of each other in the morning. It takes me forever to wake up, especially if I get less than five hours of sleep. To make it to your 8AMs and 9AMs, put your phone further than arm's reach from your bed. This requires you to get up to turn it off, which is already one step closer to going to class. You got this. 

6. Make Flashcards and Bring Them to Work  

Flashcards are my go-to for crash-course studying. If you're working in college, make flashcards the night before and study them on your lunch break, in between waiting tables, or whenever. For concept-based tests, try making flashcards that ask questions rather than just stating facts. This helps your brain get into test mode.

7. Go to Office Hours 

Make an effort to go to office hours at least once every two weeks. If your professor's office hours don't fit with your schedule, email them to schedule an appointment. If you tend to miss class because of work, allowing your professors to see your face every once in a while assures them that you're alive and trying. 

8. Be Transparent With Your Professors and Your Job 

Every syllabus includes mandatory test dates. Give your job your test schedule months in advance so they can't guilt trip you later. Likewise, if you're struggling in a class due to scheduling or personal issues, talk to your professor. Working in college is difficult, but I promise that your professors want you to win. 

9. Learn to Say No 

"I know you have class but, if it's possible, can you come in from blah blah time to blah blah time?" Your boss knows you don't want to spend the rest of your life broke and sleep-deprived. If you're already working more than the minimum 15 hours per week, it's okay to say no sometimes, especially if you have a test coming up. 

All That Matters is You

Chances are, your job is still going to be there when you graduate, but the chance to rock that cap and gown is a rare opportunity. It's easy to get caught up in the stress of paying bills and loans, but take the time to have a few hours to yourself and breathe. Don't sacrifice your health for the sake of taking out less loans — work just enough to get your foot in the door, and flaunt it on your resume. Employers love a student that can do both.