Throughout the many summers of my life, I have had to deal with the struggles of having pale skin. Somehow, I have always surrounded myself with people who love the outdoors and are constantly basking in the sun, while I hide in the shade.

There are many problems that pale people have when it comes to summer. I have conjured up a list of nine specific problems that I believe perfectly demonstrates the issues of being pale during the summertime.

1. Constant Sunburn

Sunburns are one of the most frustrating parts of summer. They are distracting, both visually and to the touch. No matter what, pale skin seems to always attract sunburns and all its glory. Regardless if a sunburn is minor or severe, it takes time and care for the burn to subside and be kicked to the curb. 

2. Smelling of Sunblock

In order to avoid the summer's inherent sunburn, sunblock is a must. However, with sunblock comes the smell that likes to linger. The smell sticks to your skin, hair, and clothing, and there's no escaping it.

3. Staying Pale

Since pale skin is near impossible to tan, the only thing to do is continue to embrace it. Even if there is a hint of a tan-line on your skin, to everyone else, you're still pale. 

4. Searching for the Highest SPF

Sun protection factors range from different levels of protection. There's a divide of people who either opt for the highest or lowest ranking. Though, the highest level of SPF (for example, SPF 110), is usually more popular amongst those that burn easily.

Regardless of your SPF preference, Dr. Steven Wang suggests "SPFs no lower than 30 and no higher than 50," and that "sunscreens with very high SPFs can create a false sense of security."

5. Applying and Owning Copious Amounts of Sunblock

There's nothing to be ashamed of in owning an ample amount of sunblock - who cares if most of those bottles hidden in the cupboard have seen well past their expiration date? It's definitely needed for surviving the summer season, even though it comes with the constant struggle of applying and reapplying each time you leave the house.

6. Always Looking for Shaded Spots, or Creating Your Own

No matter what anyone says, sunblock is never enough. It's important to stay covered, whether that means running towards the shade, or dressing like you're still living in the cooler months. Investing in an oversized floppy hat, or light, long-sleeved beach wear will definitely payoff. 

7. Being Forced to Leave Shaded Spots

Finding the perfect shaded spot equates to the price of gold. However, you can't stay there forever. No matter how much you fight it, eventually, a friend will come along and drag you to the next horrifically sun-filled spot, and the search for shade will begin all over again. 

8. Staying Indoors

Sometimes, you have to avoid the sun-rays altogether by staying indoors. Which means relishing in the cool air-conditioning. Though it's a nice thought, those with pale skin probably have to savor alone, while watching everyone else enjoying the outdoors and sunshine.

9. Having a Sun Allergy

Surprisingly, sun allergies are a real thing, and according to the Mayo Clinic, usually happen when "an itchy red rash occurs on skin that has been exposed to sunlight." There are different cases for sun allergies, however the Mayo Clinic states, "the most common form of sun allergy is polymorphic light eruption, also known as sun poisoning."

There are many sunny situations that try to prevent pale people from enjoying the summertime, however don't let it stop you. There's always some kind of solution to beat those harsh sun-rays, no matter how impractical it might be.