Am I the only one who wakes up in the morning extremely excited for breakfast? Don't get me wrong, I love and value my sleep as much as the next person. However, just knowing that my breakfast will whirl me with the energy I need to begin my day in a positive tone is a great reason for me to get out of bed and into the kitchen. Of course, when it comes to what I actually eat for breakfast, I love all kinds of foods: honey-laden pancakes, savory eggs and avocado toast...the list is practically endless. Nevertheless, like every person does, I sometimes get foodie's block...which is just another fancy way of saying I have trouble choosing what to eat. Anyone relate?

My friends and I were at the last few... | HD photo by Rachel Park (@therachelstory) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

To get my creative juices flowing in times like these, I open up my pantry and try to make surprising meals out of unexpected foods. It's my favorite way to mix-up my plates! Lately, it just so happens to be the one and only brown rice cakes -- yes, those puffy, crunchy, oh-so-delectable mini cakes that just about pair well with anything and everything. I now use them as my go-to base for my breakfast when I want something out of the box and far from ordinary. Best of all, they're nutritious, pretty cheap, and are sold practically everywhere.

Some tips: eat the amount that is filling and satisfying enough for you. In addition, feel free to garnish them with all the nuts and seeds you desire for extra protein and fiber, which never go wrong at breakfast. Need ideas on how to dress them up? Here are 9 different ways to enjoy rice cakes for breakfast!

1. Hummus, Olives, Cherry Tomatoes, & Balsamic

olives, olive, farmer's market, Fruit, Fresh
Caroline Ingalls

Get your Mediterranean flair on in the mornings! To me, there's nothing more delicious than the pairing of olives and tomatoes. To add to the Italiano combo, a good smear of your favorite hummus as the base and a drizzle of balsamic at the end go fabulously together. This rice cake will give you plant-based protein and gut-supporting fiber from the hummus, as well as healthy monounsaturated fats from olives and loads of vitamins in the tomatoes. You'll feel like you took a mini trip to Italy...and like a breakfast champion. Double whammy. 

2. Cashew Butter, Figs, & Cinnamon

fig, sweet
Kristine Mahan

Simplicity at its finest. Take your rice cakes, spread a good 1-2 tablespoons of cashew butter on there, some fig slices, and top it all off with a hefty shake of cinnamon. Fig Newtons don't hold a candle to this combination! It's the perfect way to blend a few sweet flavors together, without taking your blood sugar off balance. Bonus points if you add some hemp seeds for protein!

3. Avocado, Tahini, & Pine Nuts

nut, avocado, sweet, vegetable
Sarah Silbiger

Good 'ole avocado...never a bad time for it, right? What better way to get your heart-healthy monounsaturated fats in than through this perfect, green fruit? Mash half a Hass Avocado on your rice cake, drizzle a good amount of tahini on there, and sprinkle with a handful of pine nuts. This healthy-fat-filled cake will keep you full until lunch time, and will make your avocado toast seem boring. Trust me on this one. 

4. Pesto, Crunchy Chickpeas, & Feta Cheese

vegetable, cereal, legume, meat, pea, chickpeas, garbanzo, corn
Christin Urso

I'm a huge pesto aficionado. No, really, I wrote a whole article about my favorite recipe and how obsessed I am with it! Turns out that combining pesto with crunchy roasted chickpeas makes for the yummiest taste. The cherry on top of the ice cream here is your feta cheese; add a few crumbles to this cake and you have yourself a winning breakfast. Calcium, protein, fiber, perfection...what more can you ask for?

5. Mashed Sweet Potato, Banana Coins, & Walnuts

sweet potato, potato, sweet
Lena Moriarty

Here's another way to get your sweet tooth on by simply taking advantage of the natural sweet plants mother nature has to offer us! Note: this may need preparation the night before, depending on how much time you have in the mornings. Roast or microwave a sweet potato and mash it well with a fork until it becomes pureed (this is the part you'll want to get done the night before depending on your time allotment). Add that mashed goodness to your rice cake with a couple of banana coins. Finish it all off with some crunchy walnuts, and you have yourself a mini sweet potato pie without any added sugar. You're welcome!

6. Peanut Butter, Cacao Powder, Blueberries, & Orange Zest

cocoa, cocoa powder, chocolate

Inspired by these chocolate and orange cupcakes I read about the other day, I knew I had to recreate this flavor pairing on a rice cake. All you need here is your favorite peanut butter (one ingredient only please: peanuts!), unsweetened cacao powder, fresh or frozen blueberries, and orange zest. Combined, this rice cake tastes like a slice of chocolate cake with a citrusy zing that will have you wanting more. Even better, it's loaded with antioxidants from the cacao powder and blueberries. Perfect cold-season breakfast!

7. Guacamole, Fried Egg, & Hemp Seeds

Fried eggs | HD photo by wenping wang (@wifecooky) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

I obviously didn't forget about our OG beloved avocado toast, friends. This one is a replica of your favorite avo-and-egg breakfast, except on a rice cake. To add a crunchy element and another source of protein, this combo is finished off with a generous sprinkling of hemp seeds. Avocado toast who? I only know avocado rice cake. 

8. Vanilla Greek Yogurt, Pomegranate Seeds, & Chia Seeds

Instagram, Twitter & Facebook Designs... | HD photo by NordWood Themes (@nordwood) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Another one for my people who need sweet breakfasts in their life. If you're a yogurt bowl type of guy or gal, this is the perfect option for you. Smear a rice cake with a spoonful of vanilla greek yogurt (or any flavor you fancy, really), and top it with some pomegranate seeds or chia seeds. If you can't find pomegranate seeds, use your other favorite fruits, such as mango chunks, pineapple slices, or even strawberries. Don't forget the chia seeds; these babies will add fiber, protein, iron, calcium, and other good-for-you nutrients your body will thank you for. 

9. Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon, and EBTB Seasoning

As a twenty-something living in New Y... | HD photo by Christine Siracusa (@christine_siracusa) on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

I think I did a pretty good job of saving the best for last. If your morning calling is an everything bagel topped with cream cheese and salmon, just do the exact same thing...on a rice cake! All you need is cream cheese, smoked salmon, Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning, and boom. You have a new way of enjoying your favorite bagel toppings. Mind-blowing, right?

With all these options, I'm hoping you have a new favorite way to enjoy your breakfast! In addition, these can all be eaten as a pick-me-up in the afternoon when you get the munchies, or even as an after-dinner snack. Get in the mood and try playing around with your own favorite combinations, too! Picking your brain and practicing creative abilities will always ensure variety, preventing you from getting bored with your meals. Whichever way you eat it, I hope these rice cakes will have you screaming "rice and shine!" as soon as you get out of bed!