Spoon University Logo
lgbtqia foodcreators
lgbtqia foodcreators
Lifestyle

7 LGBTQIA+ Food Creators You Should Be Following

I’ve always loved how much diversity can exist in the kitchen. As a kid who grew up watching Food Network, I was very used to obsessing over the likes of straight men, a lá Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain. Discovering chefs like Anne Burrell, though, made my young, gay heart soar. As the food world has expanded out into the public eye with social media, it has become even easier to find cooks and food lovers alike who identify with the queer community. In honor of Pride Month, I’m going to give a rundown on seven of my personal favorite LGBTQIA+ food creators that you should definitely give a follow!

1. Olivia Tiedemann (@livforpasta)

One of the more iconic off this list, Liv is a part of the legion of Hampton’s private chefs that have taken over TikTok. She initially became popular because of her rough handling of the food she works with, her quiet confidence alluring to many. In response to one of the many thirsty comments she garnered, she made the TikTok below, officially coming out to the internet as a lesbian. Her cooking is no joke, either, casually tearing apart lobsters for a beautiful surf and turf course.

2. Liz (@foodwithliz)

Liz might just be my personal favorite off this list, as I’m a sucker for aesthetic TikTok slideshows. Liz has absolutely mastered this, recapping her week or rating her own recipes with some of the most gorgeous food photography I’ve ever seen. Her relationship with her girlfriend is also incredibly heartwarming. You only see glimpses of it on her account, but this adorable cake from 2021 cements their status. If you’re as big of a fan of hers as I am, you’ll begin to recognize her girlfriend’s account in the comments pretty regularly, feeding my heart just as much as my stomach!

3. Kai Nguyen (@kais_table)

One of the few chefs whose Instagram I frequent rather than their TikTok, we have Kai. Their username is the same on both, but the personal aspect we see in their Instagram content really allows me to feel a connection with the cook. Particularly I enjoyed watching their Vegas wedding in 2023, amidst their mouthwatering predominantly Asian cooking.

4. “Bolin” (@lamchopt

I’m actually a bit unsure what @lamchopt’s actual name is, due to their online persona. He goes by Bolin, a reference to the character from Legend of Korra who he bears resemblance to. His content fluctuates between fun, mature cooking content and even more mature… photo recreations? If you want spice that extends beyond just the chef’s cooking, be sure to check out “Bolin.”

5. Bri Marriott (@shrimjason)

Chef Bri is another chef who definitely leans into thirst traps. She has also done time as a private chef, and the small glimpses we get of her cooking for bigger parties is stunning. Bri is one of the more outspoken about her sexuality on this list, making a plethora of content about pride, like the recent rainbow apron that even I found myself wanting after watching.

6. Kian (@kianthechef)

Kian is another whose Instagram rivals their TikTok. However, the real thing that makes him stand out for me is his baking capabilities. As the owner of his own bakery, his desserts are truly captivating. If you’ve been following his journey for a while, you’ll know that this bakery was a long time in the making, and seeing a proud gay man heading his own brick-and-mortar never gets old.

7. Lavelle (@thelavelleshow)

Last but certainly not least — FRIEND. Whenever Lavelle pops up on my FYP, I know it’s going to be a good day. Lavelle isn’t as much of a chef as he is a food reviewer, but his Trader Joe’s walkthroughs are endlessly entertaining. I’m also quite partial to his occasional dating storytimes, and his effortlessly open personality is infectious!

Izzy Astuto (he/they) is a writer currently majoring in Creative Writing at Emerson College, with a specific interest in screenwriting. His work has previously been published by Hearth and Coffin, Sage Cigarettes, and The Gorko Gazette, amongst others. He is currently a reader for journals such as PRISM international and Alien Magazine. You can find more of their work on their website, at https://izzyastuto.weebly.com/. Their Instagram is izzyastuto2.0 and Twitter is adivine_tragedy.