There's no better time for a full house cleaning than the first days of summer. Now that the warm weather is finally here, you can dig up your sewing kit along with those boxes of stuff you thought you'd never use again. So, instead of throwing it out, consider repurposing your old junk. Here are six DIY summer crafts that will put your old household items to new use without breaking the bank.

Towel Beach Bag

Don't let your old towels go to waste—sew them. Towel bags are easy to make and perfect for the beach. Depending on the size of the towel that you use, they can also be very practical and hold a lot of your belongings. All you need is one large towel, two hand towels for handles, a needle and thread. Follow the above tutorial for step-by-step instructions!

Hummingbird Feeder

If you live outside of the city, attract hummingbirds with a homemade feeder. Required materials include a glass bottle with the cap, a food container with the cover, wire, a plastic cap, and beads to decorate. Hang it by a hook in a tree, fill it with sugar water (hummingbird nectar), and wait for the birds.

Floral Camera Strap

Take an old scarf that you haven't worn in years and turn it into a stylish camera strap with a pattern of your choice. This DIY summer craft can be secured to your camera with some leather, two split rings and two chain closures. This is also amazing if you plan on vacationing somewhere with your camera to help you stand out from other tourists.

Seashell Planter

Remember those shells hiding in your closet that you picked off the beach last time you went on vacation? This is the perfect way to repurpose them and show them off at the same time. Simply glue the shells to a terra cotta pot, and place your succulents inside. This can be done in less than 20 minutes, yet it stands out far more than a typical planter.

Gingham Sunglasses Case

Sunglasses are a staple of summer, and gingham is the latest trend. These cases are a great way to carry around your shades every day and prevent them from scratching in a purse. All you need is some fabric and an elastic. Similar to the floral camera strap, any pattern of fabric can be used depending on personal preference.

Wind Chimes

These wind chimes both look and sound beautiful. They are also sun-catchers on bright days. Start by choosing your flowers, plants or leaves to put inside the chimes. Next, gather rings from the lids of mason jars, string or yarn, a stick to hang them off of, and some paper. If you don't want to use flowers, you can make wind chimes using beads or seashells to change the aesthetic. 

Have some fun with your cleaning and make an artsy DIY summer craft using materials you already have at home. Whether the craft is practical or for decoration, it can be made quickly, easily and without going over your budget. Plus, you can make each item as unique and one-of-a-kind as you want. Find more creative DIY summer craft ideas on Pinterest, and share your ideas with others too. Happy crafting!