Summer is the season of heat, tanning, and sweet fruits and veggies in California. There are so many reasons to love summer, and we just found five more. Stop by your local farmer's market and grab your favorite July fruits and veggies to make one of these easy recipes. Plus you can impress your friends at your next party with your knowledge of the many uses of in-season produce.

Nectarines: Chia Seed Overnight Oats

Maggie Harriman

Nectarines are the peach's cooler, trendier cousin, and they can be used in many of the same ways. This super easy breakfast can be made ahead of time for a refreshing on-the-go meal. With the nutritional benefits of oats, chia, and fresh fruit, you can make the best of the most important meal of the day.

Figs: Ricotta Crostini

cheese
Julia Maguire

Step up your pool party game with these delicious appetizers. They take five minutes to make, and will make your friends think you're a professional cook. Figs are the candy of the fruit kingdom and taste just like summer with some light ricotta cheese.

Grapefruit: Sorbet

juice, grapefruit, citrus, lemon
Justin Schwebel

What says summer more than fruit sorbet? Fruit sorbet made with farm fresh grapefruits, of course. The tangy, bright flavor of the grapefruit makes for a cooling, refreshing sorbet to get you through the hottest summer afternoons.

Basil: Pesto

herb, basil, olive oil, vegetable, oil

Pesto never really goes out of season, but there is something about the smell of fresh basil that just says summer. This 10 minute pesto is perfect for a light pasta meal, or a fresh green salad. Keep a jar of homemade pesto on hand all summer long, and you'll discover new ways to enjoy it without the noodles.

Beets: Hummus

sweet, beet, vegetable, candy
Margaret Weinberg

If you've been to even just one pool party this summer, you know that chips and dip are a staple of the season. If you're bored of classic hummus, try this version with summer's brightest vegetable. This hummus is flavorful and fresh, while still packing a solid serving of veggies. It is truly un-beet-able.