Now that we're #adults, we can go out and buy food for ourselves (even if it's only things you can make in the microwave). But when you look at the price at the end of your receipt, you begin to wonder how a few items turned into major spending. On one hand you want to save money because college is expensive but you also need food to live. 

Instead of panicking, dropping out and thinking about moving back in with your parents, cut costs by making some of your must-haves with these DIY healthy food hacks. 

1. Pizza Dough

Ordering pizza should be considered an American pastime at this point. Forego the long wait, forget having to tip the delivery guy and skip the frozen pizza struggle: Make your own dough at home. Traditional pizza dough with yeast is both pricier and more time-consuming than a simple DIY baking soda crust. 

Combine 2 1/2 cups of flour with 3 teaspoons of baking soda and a teaspoon of salt in a bowl. With a fork, slowly stir in 3/4 cup of water and a tablespoon of olive oil until dough begins to stick. If too dry, add more water and if too sticky, add flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a floured surface to kneed until smooth. 

Now your pizza dough is ready to be stretched out into any shape and piled with delicious toppings.

2. Almond Milk

While nearly every grocery store seems to carry a variety of almond milks, you don't always want to drop upwards of $5 (for reference, regular milk is about $2) for your fix. Even Starbucks has gotten on the almond milk bandwagon. Instead of dropping big dollars on store-bought almond milk, try making your own with a blender.

Soak a cup of almonds in water overnight. Drain and add to blender with 3 Medjool dates, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 3 1/2 cups of filtered water. Slowly strain the blended mixture using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Shake well before using.

3. Guacamole

At this point, Chipotle doesn't even remind you that guac is extra because you are well aware and just need your avocado fix. On tacos, salads or just chips, homemade guac can make a meal that much better without making your wallet too much worse.

Begin by taking two avocados, cutting them in half around the pit and scoop out the fruit into a bowl. Add in a chopped small red onion (1/4 cup), the juice of a large lime (2-3 tablespoons), 8-10 leaves of cilantro and a pinch of salt, then mash together until combined with a fork.

4. Granola

With the food health craze going on right now, granola is flying off the shelves. But not only is it usually less healthy than you think, with additives and tons of sugar, this stuff is expensive. To channel your inner hippie, grab some of your favorite nuts and grains to DIY this great and healthy snack.

Make the base for your granola with 4 cups of steel-cut oats, a cup each of chopped almonds and flax seeds in a bowl. Mix in 1/4 cup of honey or agave and 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil as well as a teaspoon of vanilla until the mixture begins to stick together. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 30 minutes). 

5. Dried Fruit

When the frigid cold of winter (or Chicago's mildly chilly winter this year) hits and you're craving a taste of summer, dried fruit is a go-to. Drying fruit is surprisingly easy but does take a little time - just be patient and let the oven work its magic.

Deseed, peel or otherwise clean then slice the fruit of your choice, about 1/4 inch thick, and lay out on a baking sheet. Put in the oven until the fruit is dry, flipping the pieces midway through the cooking tome. For blueberries (8 hours), raspberries (10 hours), and bananas (3 hours), keep the oven at 200-220 degrees while pineapple (7 hours), strawberries (3 hours), peaches (6 hours), plums (6 hours), mangoes (4 hours), and apples (6 hours) should have an oven at 170-180 degrees.

So go ahead and treat yo' self, from home.