Oh, Nutella, the beloved Hazelnut spread that tastes delicious on toast, fruit, and everything in between. If you haven’t had a Nutella crepe, have you even lived? Though Nutella may be an irrefutable favorite, its seat on the sweet condiment throne is in jeopardy. Nutella alternatives do exist and could potentially be more delicious than their predecessor. These candidates may steal Nutella’s smooth, irresistible, mouth-watering reign as the top sweet condiment of the world.

1. Cookie Butter

peanut butter, peanut, butter, chocolate

You know those irresistible oval-shaped Biscoff cookies that you choose over the pretzels every time the flight attendant asks your snack preference? Well, imagine a butter flavored exactly like those cookies. The Biscoff brand and Trader Joe’s have both marketed their own versions of cookie butter, which is undeniably a competitor with Nutella. It’s sweet without being too sweet and pairs well with just about anything. 

2. Coconut Butter / Pearl Butter

Coconut butter is like the Dr. Oz of butters: the health expert. Not only does it taste good, and can be mixed with a nut butter for a coconutty flavor, but it also has amazing health benefits like boosting metabolism, immunity, and increasing energy levels. It’s also really good for healing dry skin. Could coconut butter’s health benefits give it a leg up in the Nutella alternative competition? Kati Holland, the founder of Pearl Butter, certainly thinks so. Her coconut butter based products incorporate other nutritious ingredients and natural coloring to make the prettiest snack you’ve ever had. 

3. Matcha Butter

green tea, herb, tea, matcha
Sam Jesner

All you need to make your very own Matcha butter is some butter and Matcha powder, and you have yourself a bright green spread for toasts, muffins, and anything else your heart desires. Matcha is a superfood so the health benefits are plentiful, the aesthetically pleasing color is definitely a plus, and it pairs well with just about anything. It’s hard to compete with a superfood, but then again, it’s also hard to compete with Muhammed Ali, yet Joe Frazier did it. Could the next butter be the one to defeat the Macho Matcha?

4. Birthday Cake Almond Butter

cake, chocolate, butter
Jordan Gottlieb

I’m not even sure if an explanation is required for this one. Who wouldn’t want a piece of toast smeared with a birthday cake flavored butter? Go to Buff Bake's website and add a jar of their Birthday Cake Almond Butter to your cart immediately. They've added a hormone-free whey protein to the spread, so you can indulge your sweet tooth without feeling too guilty about it. They recommend it on an apple, in a smoothie, or mixed into oatmeal. Imagine starting your day with the taste of frosting. IT’S LITERALLY CAKE FOR BREAKFAST. And all your childhood dreams come true. 

5. Maple Almond Butter

Justin's nut butters are known for their health benefits and their convenient squeeze packs. However, their Maple Almond Butter has just enough maple syrup added that it can definitely be a tough competitor in the sweet condiment competition. If you're like me and drench maple syrup over any kind of pancakes, waffles, or French toast, this is definitely your breakfast butter of choice. Nutella has 22g of carbohydrates and 21g of sugar, whereas Justin's Maple Almond Butter has 8g of carbohydrates and only 3g of sugar. Replacing your Nutella waffles with Maple Almond Butter waffles should be a no-brainer. 

Many people have different favorites, but I strongly suggest doing a taste test of your own to see how these alternates compare. Tomorrow morning, I'll be having five slices of toast with each of these Nutella alternatives smeared on top. I strongly encourage you to do the same.