Recently, I found out why my stomach always feels like it's about to implode after I eat certain foods: lactose. However, the hardest food items for me to find without lactose have been yogurt, ice cream, and cream cheese. If you're lactose-free or dairy-free, the five products below are some great options that will satisfy your taste buds while fulfilling your dietary restriction needs.

1. Forager Project: Dairy-Free Cashewgurt

Not only does the Forager Project make dairy-free "cashewgurt,"  they also make probiotic smoothies, cashew milk, and "cheezy greens" pressed vegetable chips. This plant-based yogurt has sugar content ranging from 1 gram (unsweetened, plain) to 12 grams (flavored options). You can add fresh fruit to the minimal taste of the plain yogurt for the perfect afternoon snack, or you could try adding the yogurt to a smoothie for extra thickness and creaminess. Of the seven flavor options, my personal favorite is blueberry – 10/10 would recommend. 

#SpoonTip: Check out some more info on Forager Project.

2. Bellwether Farms: Sheep Milk Yogurt

After searching for a rich and creamy lactose-free yogurt for months, I finally found the perfect brand, Bellwether Farms' sheep milk yogurt. While sheep milk may not sound very appealing, once you mix in the flavor at the bottom of the container and take your first bite, it's as if you're eating cow's milk yogurt. The sugar content ranges from 2 grams (plain) to 11 grams (many of the flavored selections). Bellwether Farms is a family owned and operated farm, producing yogurt in cheese from sheep and cows.

3. Green Valley Organics: Lactose-Free Cream Cheese

Green Valley Organics makes the best lactose-free cream cheese I have yet to discover. Using real organic cream, sea salt, lactase enzyme, and live cultures, their cream cheese is almost better than regular cream cheese. The use of goat milk for those of us who are lactose-intolerant is one of the newest ways for us to get our real dairy fix. Spread it on bagels and eat it with lox, or scoop it into your cheesecake recipe – you won't regret it. This farm, focused on goat products, also makes other lactose-free products.

4. LāLoo's Goat Milk Ice Cream Company

If your body cannot handle lactose but you crave ice cream as much as I do, I promise that you have met your match. Not only is goat milk lower in lactose and therefore easier to digest, but it's also lower in fat. My personal favorite flavor is the capraccino (goat falls under the genus "Capra") almond fudge. If you visit their website, you can see all the different creamy, delicious flavors and their respective nutritional facts.

5. Halo Top Creamery: Dairy-Free Ice Cream

If you're not on the Halo Top craze yet, you should hop on the train real quick. This ice cream is labeled by calories per pint, and if you look at their "Us vs. Them" page, you can see the huge difference in their nutritional content compared to other ice cream brands. After taking this protein-packed treat out of the freezer, let it sit out and melt a little before enjoying.

#SpoonTip: Here's a definitive ranking of the best dairy-free Halo Top flavors.

With these six products, lactose can't ever stop you again from eating the dairy products you love. Check them out and enjoy your life, stomach ache-free. 

#SpoonTip: In case you've made it this far and do not happen to be lactose-intolerant but are curious about the difference between lactose-free and dairy-free, check out this guide. And if you aren't lactose-intolerant, but are wondering why you should eat vegan ice cream, check out these benefits.