Duke

Photo by @spoon_duke on Instagram

As Duke students, we love to complain about our food options on campus. Each year I find that I fall into a rut, eating the same exact meal at each campus eatery. Last year I had a salad from Penn Pavilion twice a day, every day. Although we’ve been eagerly awaiting the opening of the West Union (our fancy new dining hall), we’ve grown to love what’s available and have even ventured to some of Durham’s off campus restaurants. Ultimately when we graduate or leave for the summer, we find ourselves missing the little things from Durhome.

1. Baked Oatmeal from Div School

Duke

Photo by Izzi Clark

This morning meal has become part of your weekly routine. The breakfast burritos are good, but the baked oatmeal is unparalleled.

#SpoonTip: Try adding milk, cinnamon sugar or honey for some extra flavor.

2. Pumpkin Bread from Saladelia

Duke

Photo courtesy of today.duke.edu

There has to be a secret ingredient in here because it’s addictive. You can never get enough of this scrumptiously spiced bread. Last semester I had to limit myself to one piece a week…

3. Quenchers Smoothies

Duke

Photo by Izzi Clark

There’s nothing more satisfying than finishing a workout with a Quenchers Smoothie (err… milkshake).

#SpoonTip: Order a custom smoothie with spinach and Greek yogurt for an added nutrition boost.

4. Tater Tots from Cafe Edens (a.k.a Pitchforks)

Duke

Photo by Kailla Coomes

Serving all-night breakfast, Pitchforks is the favorite for late night eats on campus. Tater tots are a crowd pleaser, but if you’re feeling daring, you go for the haystack (but don’t count the calories).

5. Crêpes from the Parlez Vous Crêpe Truck

Duke

Photo by Abby Farley

Wednesday night crêpes are a staple in the West campus student’s diet. From savory to sweet options, the crêpe truck has it all.

6. Brunch at the Nasher Cafe

Duke

Photo by Jennifer Schnadig

The best priced brunch in Durham, mimosas included. With a full menu including three types of Benedictine eggs, you try to come as many weekends as you can.

#SpoonTip: The Nasher serves dinner every Thursday night! It also make a great study spot during finals week.

7. Dinners at the WaDuke

Duke

Photo courtesy of the Washington Duke Inn

A three course dinner on food points? Yes, please. The Washington Duke’s brunch, afternoon tea and dinner menus are all phenomenal. Such a satisfying feeling to hand in your Duke card with the check.

8. Delivery from Sushi Love

Duke

Photo by Izzi Clark

Late nights in Perkins are no problem when Sushi Love’s in sight.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to ask for soy sauce. They have forgotten it with my delivery one too many times.

9. Cinna-Zo’s from Enzo’s

Duke

Photo courtesy of enzospizzaco.com

Cinnazo’s are the best and worst thing to happen to you. Every time you think to yourself, “I’ll just have one…or two…or twelve…”

10. Indian Food from Penn Pavilion

Duke

Photo courtesy of bradleyhawks.com

You’ll likely never admit how much you secretly love Penn Pavilion and its Indian food. Although the Chipotle knock-off isn’t exquisite, there are more options here than you think.

11. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup from Div School

Duke

Photo by Elysia Su

There are quite a few grilled cheese sandwiches on campus, but nothing beats a rainy day at Div School with a cup of soup.

12. Bagel Sandwich and Donut from Monuts Donuts

Duke

Photo by Jennifer Schnadig

Easily the most popular Duke student brunch spot. Obviously you always get a bagel sandwich and a donut. Monuts is likely your first and last meal each semester.

13. Burgers from Bull City Burger & Brewery

Duke

Photo courtesy of thestraightbeef.com

Best burgers in town, hands down. You keep wanting to try exotic meat month when March rolls around, but you always chicken out (pun intended).

14. Pompieri Pizza

Duke

Photo by Emily Waples

There’s something special about cutting your own pizza with a pair of scissors. You promise yourself you won’t eat the whole pie (but then you always do).

15. BBQ from the Pit

Duke

Photo courtesy of carpedurham.com

You can’t get barbecue like this anywhere but the south. This place is perfect to go during Parents’ Weekend because you can order the food family style. You leave school dreaming about hush puppies and creamy mac & cheese.

16. Wings from Heavenly Buffaloes

Duke

Photo courtesy of jesushidalgo.com

You didn’t know how much you loved wings until you came to Duke. The name is extremely fitting – these wings are heavenly.

17. Tacos from Cosmic Cantina

Duke

Photo courtesy of foodio54.com

Extremely unclear if the food from here is actually good or not – you’ve only been at 1AM. Cosmic is a Duke student’s drunk eats of choice, mainly because of its great guacamole.

17. Shots at Shooters

Duke

Photo courtesy of hotelroomsearch.net

There’s nothing more satisfying than finally getting into the “Over 21” line. Say goodbye to those Xs on your hands prepare to take on the trifecta (the bar, the bull and the cage) after downing an SFK shot.

18. Lattes from Cocoa Cinnamon

Duke

Photo by Meredith Davin

The doctor will see you now (the Dr. Durham Latte, that is). With a new location near East Campus, Cocoa is a sure fire spot for studying or grab-and go coffee. Their menu of clever concoctions never disappoints.

19. Cookout Milkshakes

Duke

Photo by Duane Stanford

There’s nothing better than an email from your RA announcing she has Cookout Milkshakes in the common room. Every flavor is delicious, but Oreo mint was the winner in a taste test of all 40 flavors.

20. Ice Cream from the Parlour

Duke

Photo by @spoon_duke on Instagram

As one of the only ice cream shops in town, the Parlour always has a line out the door. All kinds of flavors fill the menu: from Vegan Thin Mint to Peach-Cardamom. Once in a blue moon, the Parlour truck comes to school and chaos ensues.

21. Froyo from Loyo

Duke

Photo courtesy of southernbrideandgroom.com

Last, but most certainly not least, you miss Loyo, Durham’s beloved froyo shop. It’s far better than Red Mango, and yes, we are still mourning the loss of the food truck.